University students, staff, faculty and alumni that are veterans of the armed forces are supported from within this Alliance.
To provide military veteran students, staff, faculty and alumni and their families with the resources, support, and advocacy needed to succeed in higher education.
- To provide a network of support to military veterans, their families and civilian supporters
- To educate the university community about the experiences of military veterans and work with the university administration to meet the needs of student veterans and prospective student veterans
- To address veteran students, staff, faculty and alumni concerns through scheduled meetings, advocacy, social and recreational activities
- To foster esprit de corps among veteran students, staff, faculty and alumni and promote an understanding of veteran students, staff, faculty and alumni issues
Membership in the Veterans Alliance @ UR is open to all students, staff, faculty and alumni of the University of Rochester who are interested in supporting student veterans within the campus community. Events and programming are focused on current students, staff, faculty and alumni that are serving or have served in the armed forces of any nation. Workforce members can register themselves as members of the Veterans Alliance at UR by contacting the Secretary via e-mail or hardcopy mail, with the choice of being anonymous members, or known members. No prospective membership shall be refused membership based on their sex, gender, religion,age, race, or creed. All general members will have the opportunity to hold office and serve on committees, receive resource materials, and attend Veterans Alliance @ UR special events.
Veterans Alliance Membership Form
Membership Form for Veterans Alliance
- Connect students, staff, faculty and alumni across the entire University footprint to build community
- Increase the visibility of veteran students, staff, faculty and alumni concerns within the University community
- Serve as role models to the University of Rochester community and the Greater Rochester area by supporting the mission of the University through innovative relationships with organizations throughout our institution and the community
- Provide a support network for veteran students, staff, faculty and alumni and their families
- Enhance the awareness and understanding of the University community about the experiences of student veterans through training and other related events/activities
- Coordinate with the University administration to meet the needs of veteran students, staff, faculty and alumni
- Provide outreach programs to potential veteran students, staff, faculty and alumni
- Organize and participate in campus and local military service events, including support of the local veteran service providers
Board Members and Executive Champion
Ashley Steeves Doherty
Cpt. Nathan York
Peter Robinson, Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, URMC
1. Responsible for overall operations and strategic development of the organization.
2. Facilitation of Executive Board and general membership meetings, ultimate collation of meeting agenda and reporting mechanisms.
3. Act as liaison to the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Inclusion, the Office for Faculty Development and Diversity, and with the community as a whole.
1. To increase awareness of the Veterans Alliance @ UR through various University and community based programs
2. To be liaison to the community on all Veterans Alliance @ UR initiatives
3. To support and create opportunities for Veterans Alliance @ UR in the community
1. To support and create professional development opportunities for Veterans Alliance @ UR within the University community
2. To support and create a leadership series
3. To increase awareness of professional development based programs or professional development opportunities
1. To communicate the positions of the Veterans Alliance @ UR by the use of public contacts, potential newsletter activity, and diversity awareness activities
2. To communicate closely with the Chairpersons on information obtained and established
3. To maintain social networking sites (ie. Facebook)
4. To communicate with the web manager to keep web pages up-to-date.
1. To maintain member relations, help grow the membership, and maintain accurate membership, activity and policy records
2. To maintain the membership list and work closely with the Secretary to control the release of information in a timely manner
3. To assist in the recruitment of volunteer and community services
4. Duties not limited to above
1. Be a pillar of support for the Veterans Alliance @ UR
2. Provide Executive review for problem resolution (as appropriate)
3. Serve as an advocate for Veterans Alliance @ UR
4. Interface with employees and employee Affinity group leadership
General membership meetings will be held at a minimum of two meetings per year. The location and time may differ, depending on availability of conference space and general consensus on meeting times. The Executive Board may call executive meetings as needed and limit attendance to itself and to those individuals it chooses to invite. Communication on the meeting venue and agenda items shall originate with the Secretary and be sent electronically to the appropriate e-mail distribution list. Special consideration shall be provided for anyone who does not have access to e-mail. Any general member can submit agenda items through the Secretary to be included in the mailing prior to the next meeting. Meetings shall be facilitated by the Co-Chairs, Guest Speakers, or other Committee members. Minutes will be taken by the Secretary or a designee. Executive Board will hold bi-monthly meetings.
Amendments to the Bylaws
Revisions and amendments to these bylaws may be made by a two-thirds vote of the Executive Board. Copies of the proposed amendment shall be sent to each board member along with the notice of the meeting at least fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting date. If an action under a proposed amendment would be greater in scope than the proposed amendment of which the Board received notice, it may not be acted upon at such a meeting, and a new meeting must be called for this purpose. An affirmative vote of two-thirds of the board members present and voting shall be necessary to adopt any amendment or modification to these bylaws. Once changes have been adopted they can be found on the Veterans Alliance at UR website.
The Veterans Alliance @ UR may be dissolved by an affirmative vote of seventy-five percent (75%) of the membership, with the option to be reestablished under the same guidelines or modified if necessary at any given time.