University of Rochester

Equal Opportunity Home

Classroom Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

If you are seeking an accommodation to assist you in completing your coursework due to a disability the University's disabilities coordinators can help you.

If you are a student in the School of Arts, Science and Engineering, your disabilities coordinators are in the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning

If you are enrolled in the Eastman School of Music, the School of Medicine and Dentistry, the School of Nursing, the Simon Graduate School of Business, or the Warner School of Education, you can find your local disability coordinator here

Your request will be considered in the context of several factors, including the nature of your disability and its effect on you, the documentation you provide, evidence of past accommodations that you have received, and any other relevant facts.  If an accommodation is provided, you should meet with your local Disability Coordinator to review the information included in your accommodation letter.

Supporting Documentation

When making a request for an accommodation you may be asked to forward supporting documentation to your local Disability Support Coordinator.  Supporting  documentation must be submitted on letterhead that is dated, typed, and signed and be provided by a qualified physician, psychologist, audiologist, speech pathologist, rehabilitation counselor, physical therapist, occupational therapist, or other health care provider.  Supporting documentation should not be provided by a family member.  The documentation should:

It is often helpful if disability documentation includes:

The University often will provide the specific accommodations requested, but may not be legally required to do so if there is another effective accommodation available. If you receive a letter requesting additional information, please feel free to contact your local disability coordinator with any questions or concerns.


Supporting documentation regarding the existence and the nature of your disability is generally considered private. Without your  written consent  and except as stipulated below, information contained in the disability file is kept confidential to the maximum extent possible.  Disability-related information will also be kept separate from your academic record. Access to your disability file is limited to the local Disability Support Coordinator  and other University officials who require access to the information to perform their professional responsibilities, or who need access to protect your health or safety or the health or safety of others.





Thank you to the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning for providing the majority of the content for this page.