- To assure the rights and well-being of human subjects participating in research are protected
- To educate researchers about how to improve study conduct
- To provide resources to the Research Community
The Office for Human Subject Protection (OHSP) at the University of Rochester requires all study team members to successfully complete human subjects training prior to conducting any human subject research. This training must be renewed every 3 years in order to continue conducting human subject research at the University of Rochester.
Similar to the initial training, recertification is completed through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). Instructions for completing the recertification modules are provided in the hyperlinked document below. Once you have successfully completed the program, OHSP will receive a completion report via email. You will then be sent an e-letter certification documenting your training. This letter will also provide your new certification expiration date.
If OHSP does not receive notification that you have successfully completed the program before your current certification expires, you must stop all involvement in human subject research.
|Instructions for Recertifying Human Subjects Training|
CITI will automatically register you for one of four recertification courses, based the modules you completed for your initial training: Greater than Minimal Risk (Biomedical), Greater than Minimal Risk (Behavioral), Minimal Risk or IRB. The recertification course you complete should correspond with the type of research you are conducting. Should you need to change the recertification course CITI has pre-selected for you, instructions for doing so are provided in the hyperlinked document above. Please note that if you originally obtained certification for minimal risk research but plan to become involved in a greater than minimal risk study, you must complete one of the Greater than Minimal Risk Initial Certification course, rather than a recertification course.
If you are not sure which course to complete, please contact the OHSP office (contact information is provided below).
Tips on Completing the Training
- You may leave the course as many times as necessary and come back to it at a later time.
- You must score at least 85% to successfully obtain recertification for human subjects research. In order to reach this goal, you may go back into each module to review the information and re-take the quiz as many times as necessary.
- Continuing education credits are available for physicians and other healthcare professionals through CITI for course completion. Please visit the CE Credits page on CITI's website or contact them directly at (305) 243-7970 for more information.
If you have any questions about registering for CITI or completing this training, please contact Kelly Unsworth at (585) 275-5244 or by email.
Human Subjects Training
Education & Training
- Education & Training Opportunities
- Supplemental Training
- Professional Certification
- Listserv Signup
- OHSP Library
- Additional Resources
- Investigator & Coordinator
- Board Member
- Department Reviewer
- Ancillary Committee
- Quick Reference Materials