Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Tools Search Main Menu
How to Report an Incident

The University is committed to the health and safety of every member of its community. Your safety is the number-one priority.

If you have experienced physical or sexual violence, get to a safe place and seek help. You are not alone. There are many people who can provide medical and emotional support, regardless of whether you choose to pursue disciplinary or criminal proceedings.

If you need to report an incident or make a complaint about harassment, discrimination, sexual misconduct, or sexual violence, there are a number of options and resources available.


Get Immediate Help

  • On campus: Call University Public Safety at 585-275-3333
  • On campus: Dial #413 on campus blue phones
  • Off campus: Call 911

Information for Students

Sexual Misconduct or Violence

There are confidential and private options for seeking help on and off campus. Students may choose any of the following resources at any time.

Confidential Options

Individuals at the following organizations offer 24-hour, confidential support. They will not report crimes to law enforcement or University officials without your permission, except under extreme circumstances, such as a health or safety emergency.

Private Options

These individuals will maintain your privacy to the greatest extent possible, but are not confidential resources. Information will be relayed only as necessary to investigate and/or seek a resolution.

    • University Title IX Coordinator (585) 275-7814

      The University has a designated Title IX Coordinator and seven Deputy Title IX Coordinators who can help with reporting options and resources. They do not investigate or adjudicate claims. You can contact any of the coordinators at any point, even if the person is in a different school or unit than you. Names and contact details at

    • University Public Safety (585) 275-3333
    • Center for Student Conflict Management (585) 275-4085
    • CARE Network (585) 275-9490

Reporting Options

Formal Complaints

You may choose to make a formal report to law enforcement by calling 911. The University can help you make this report.

You may also make a formal report to the University by contacting any of the following:

  • Title IX Coordinator at (585) 275-7814 or a Deputy Title IX Coordinator,
  • University Public Safety at (585) 275-3333
  • Center for Student Conflict Management at (585) 275-4085

Informal Resolution

You may choose to seek an informal resolution through the Title IX Coordinator. An informal resolution does not preclude you from pursuing a formal complaint in the future.

File a Report

Students, faculty, staff, visitors, and others may use the online form to file a report about sexual misconduct, including sexual harassment on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. The University’s Title IX Coordinator reviews all submitted reports and retains the information in the Title IX Office.

Non-sex-based Harassment and Discrimination

If you believe that you have been discriminated against because of your age, color, disability, ethnicity, military/veteran status, national origin, race, religion or creed, or on the basis of any other protected class, you have several options for reporting the incident.

    • Report Against Another Student

      “Submit a Concern” on the student CARE website: Harassment and discrimination complaints not related to sex will be addressed pursuant to the Standards of Student Conduct procedures.

    • Report Against a Non-student Member of the Community

      Submit a confidential formal complaint under the University's Policy Against Discrimination and Harassment, (Policy 106):

Information for Faculty & Staff

Sexual Misconduct or Violence

Individuals at the following University offices and local organizations offer confidential support. Confidential resources will not report crimes to law enforcement and are not authorized to investigate on behalf of the University. In specific instances, such as a health or safety emergency, these professionals may be required to report your information to external authorities.

Confidential Options

Individuals at the following University offices and local organizations offer confidential support.


    Rochester-Area Resources
    • RESTORE Sexual Assault Services

      (585) 546-2777

      (Free and confidential crisis intervention and support to survivors of sexual assault, available 24 hours a day. RESTORE holds office hours on River Campus every Monday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Taylor Hall, Room 01.)

    • Willow Domestic Violence Center

      (585) 222-7233 (222-SAFE)

      Confidential help for women and men of all ages, available 24 hours a day. Assistance with emergency shelter, safety planning, counseling, court advocacy, transitional support services, and prevention education.

Discrimination or Harassment

Sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, and sexual violence are forms of sex discrimination under the University’s Policy against Discrimination and Harassment, also known as Policy 106.

Also under Policy 106, discrimination or harassment based on one’s age, color, disability, ethnicity, marital status, military/veteran status, national origin, race, religion or creed, or on the basis of any other protected class is strictly prohibited.

If you have experienced discrimination and/or harassment, you may submit a complaint to any of the following individuals or offices:


    Your department chair, dean, director, or immediate supervisor

    Office of Human Resources

    River Campus

    (585) 275-8747

    33A Wallis Hall

    Medical Center

    (585) 276-6817

    URMC 1∙ 6039

    Office of Staff Diversity and Inclusion

    (585) 275-2200

    910 Genesee St., Suite 100

    Office of the University Intercessor

    (585) 275-9125

    36 Wallis Hall

    Office of Counsel

    (585) 273-2167

    236 Wallis Hall

    University Public Safety

    (585) 275-3333

    River Campus

    500 Joseph C. Wilson Blvd.

    Medical Center

    601 Elmwood Ave.

    Eastman School of Music

    26 Gibbs St.

Reporting Options

You have several options for reporting a complaint. A verbal complaint can be made with any of the offices listed above. You can also make a written report using this form.

Share your feedback

Contact Us