Transform Health Care
Since its founding nearly 100 years ago, the University’s Medical Center has made its mark as an educational innovator, a biomedical research powerhouse, and a destination for high-quality health care. We are nationally known for our holistic approach to educating outstanding physicians, scientists, and nurses. The Medical Center boasts a long list of scientific breakthroughs: contributing to vaccines that prevent cervical cancer, virtually eradicating childhood bacterial meningitis, preventing bacterial pneumonias, and developing treatments that enable premature babies to breathe.
In 2013, the University adopted a new strategic plan for the Medical Center that addressed the center’s clinical, research, educational, and community missions. As the Medical Center continues to implement and monitor its current strategic plan (completion in 2020), it is defining and developing a new plan iteration for 2025 that builds on current successes. A key focus of the 2025 plan is ensuring appropriate clinical infrastructure to fully leverage growth in the UR Medicine health system.
Our Vision: To be nationally recognized for improving health through transformative approaches in compassionate care, education, and research.
Our Mission: To be a high-quality, cost-effective, patient-centered, and innovative academic health system led by our world-class researchers, educators, and clinicians.
What does success look like in 2025?
- Our scale, quality, and infrastructure for population health make us the preferred network in upstate New York.
- We provide high-value care in local communities and complete specialty services at URMC, so that no one must leave the region for the best care.
- Five internationally known research programs form the marquee for a research enterprise that’s progressive and self-sustaining.
- Others look to Rochester when structuring education systems that produce clinical and research leaders.
- We maximize the human potential of faculty, staff, trainees, and patients in an environment of respect and achievement.
Six goals are foundational to our plan:
- Be the local health system of choice.
- Create upstate New York’s premier health network.
- Be a preeminent biomedical research institution.
- Be a preeminent educational institution.
- Become the preferred destination for faculty, staff, and students.
- Generate financial resources that allow our faculty and staff to thrive and enable us to support the strategic plan of the Medical Center and the University of Rochester.
Mark Taubman, Chair (URMC)
Adam Anolik (URMC Finance)
Mike Apostolakos (Strong Memorial and Highland Hospitals)
Tom Barnett (URMC Information Technology)
Leo Brideau (URMC Clinical Consultant)
Linda Chaudron (URMC Inclusion and Culture Development)
Teri D’Agostino (URMC Office of the CEO)
Stephen Dewhurst (SMD)
Eli Eliav (EIOH)
Kathy Gallucci (UR Human Resources)
Steve Goldstein (Strong Memorial and Highland Hospitals)
David Klein (URMC Clinical Consultant)
Bob McCann (Accountable Health Partners)
Kathy Parrinello (SMH)
Kathy Rideout (SON)
Peter Robinson (URMC Health Sciences Division)
Mike Rotondo (UR Medical Faculty Group)
Aileen Shinaman (URMC Office of Counsel)
Katy Stevenson (URMC Office of the CEO)
Liaisons to the Working Group
Advancement: Kellie Anderson, Senior Associate Vice President of University Advancement, URMC
Communications: Chip Partner, Assistant Vice President, External Affairs, URMC
Financial Sustainability: Kathy Strojny, Director Medical Center Finance, URMC