University Research Awards
Originally called Provost’s Multidisciplinary Awards, the University Research Awards (URA) are funded $250,000 every year by the president and as match by the schools for a total of $500,000 annually.
Applications are sought from faculty across the University, and funding is awarded to recipients who demonstrate their projects favor new research with a high probability of being leveraged by future external funding. A review committee of faculty from across UR provides peer review of the applications.
The RFP describes the process, and the fill-in application can be downloaded here:
Applications are due March 18, 2018. Decisions are announced just before Commencement.
Contact Adele Coelho, Faculty Outreach Coordinator, Office of the Provost and Senior Vice President for Research, with questions. Completed applications should be e-mailed directly to her as well.
2017-2018 University Research Award Winners
- Project title: Protection of corneal endothelial cells from surgical trauma
- Mark Buckley, Assistant Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Project title: Macrophage exhaustion as a novel mechanism of resistance to therapeutic mAbs
- Michael R. Elliott, Assistant Professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology in the Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology (CVBI)
- Clive S. Zent, M.D., Professor in the Department of Medicine, Hematology/Oncology, and in the Wilmot Cancer Institute
- Project title: New Strategies to Improve Long-Term Survival for Patients with Pancreatic Cancer
- Scott A. Gerber, Assistant Professor in the Department of Surgery Research
- David C. Linehan, M.D., Professor in the Department of Surgery Oncology
- Haoming (Carl) Qiu, M.D. Assistant Professor in the Wilmot Cancer Institute
- Project title: Role of NS1 mutations in interferon responses, inflammation and pathogenesis induced by seasonal human influenza A viruses
- Marta Lopez De Diego, Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Micro Center for Vaccine Biology and Immunology (CVBI)
- Aitor Nogales Gonzalez, Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Project title: Inflammatory Protein Translation in Anucleate Platelets
- Craig Morrell. Associate Professor, Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute
- Peng Yao, Assistant Professor, Aab Cardiovascular Research Institute
- Project title: Robotic Physics of Miniature Crawlers, Swimmers and Burrowers --- Non-biological Locomotion Strategies in Complex Media
- Alice Quillen, Professor of Physics and Astronomy
- Hesam Askari, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Scott Seidman, Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering, and of Neurobiology and Anatomy
- Jessica Shang, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
- Project title: Nanophotonic paleointensity sensor based on single spins
- John Tarduno, Professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Science
- Nick Vamivakas, Associate Professor in The Institute of Optics
- Project title: Social Vulnerability, Community Resilience and Disaster Recovery in Ladakh, India: A Model for Global Community Engaged Learning and Research
- Stewart Weaver, Professor of History
- Nancy P. Chin, Associate Professor of Public Health Science.
- Tatyana Bakhmetyeva, Lecturer, Susan B. Anthony Institute for Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies.
- Stuart Jordan, Faculty Director of the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL)