University of Rochester

New Counseling Programs Lead to Licensure and Third-party Payment

April 26, 2006

Margaret Warner Graduate School of Education and Human Development at the University of Rochester is offering new programs that prepare counselors for New York State licensure and allow them to collect third-party payment for their services.

The new M.S. in Community Mental Health Counseling, M.S. in Gerontological Mental Health Counseling, Ed.D. in Mental Health Counseling and Supervision, and Ph.D. in Mental Health Counseling and Supervision programs have been registered with the New York State Education Department's Office of Professions, allowing graduates from these programs to be automatically eligible to apply for New York State licensure in Mental Health Counseling.

After successfully passing the state exam and working in a supervised setting for 3,000 hours, licensed mental health counselors are considered qualified health care professionals who can work in any mental health setting (e.g. hospitals, outpatient clinics, community mental health centers, and/or private practice) and receive insurance reimbursement for their services.

The master's degree programs are 60 credit hours and the doctoral degree programs are 96 credits (approximately a third of the hours may include past master's degree credits) and are designed to prepare graduates to work effectively as counselors in any community setting offering services to people challenged by emotional, behavioral, and relationship problems.

The Warner School offers other specializations for master's degrees in counseling, including school, community and student affairs counseling. Graduate students at the Warner School can pursue certificates of advanced study in school counseling, community counseling, and mental health counseling. Other doctoral degrees include an Ed.D. and a Ph.D. focusing on counselor education and supervision. An accelerated Ed.D., completed through part-time studies over three years is also offered to professionals working in the community.

For more information, contact (585) 275-3950 or visit the Web at