Skip to main content

Faculty & Advisors

Register Your Travel

The University of Rochester provides a secure registry system for faculty, staff, and students to record individual international travel plans and contact information. The registry helps ensure smooth communication and rapid, consistent institutional support for Rochester global activities in the event of a serious emergency abroad.

View the International Travel and Program Development Policy for in-depth information regarding University-sponsored travel.

Faculty & Staff Travel

Before registering for travel, faculty and staff should read Global Engagement's Checklist for Faculty and Staff Travelers for important health and safety information.

Faculty and staff should also be aware of the protocol for Emergencies Abroad.

Additionally, all travel to high-risk destinations should be submitted to the Travel Review Subcommittee for review and approval. For more information on travel review and what is considered a high-risk destination, visit the Travel Reviews, Approvals, and Restrictions page.

Education Abroad Portal

The Center for Education Abroad staff reviews proposals for exchange and faculty-led programming. They work with students, faculty, and staff to provide comprehensive services such as pre-departure programming, faculty training, health and safety resources, and marketing.

If you are a faculty or staff member leading and/or coordinating travel which involves a student and/or group of students abroad, please contact the Center for Education Abroad for information on program proposals and review.

UR-Sponsored or Supported Travel

UR-sponsored or supported travel is any academic or business travel undertaken by Rochester faculty, staff, or students. In the case of students and medical residents, travel that is developed, funded, or administered by Rochester. In the case of faculty/staff related to the individual’s role at the University, travel that is developed, funded, or administered by Rochester.

Such travel may include:

  • Teaching
  • Research
  • Conferences
  • Administrative work
  • For-credit study
  • Internships
  • Field studies
  • Service learning
  • Volunteer programs or work programs and other experiential learning
  • Performances
  • Athletic competitions
  • Trips abroad in connection with student organizations recognized by any Rochester academic or administrative unit
  • Students in absentia


Use the chart below to determine how you will record your UR-sponsored or supported travel or programs.

 Travel RegistryEducation Abroad Portal
Conferences, professional development, research, administrative workX 
Coordinating academic, research, service learning, or experiential programs with student(s) abroad X

Register your travel through the Travel Registry.

Register your travel through the Education Abroad Portal.