The University of Rochester’s Next President
The University of Rochester is undertaking a search for its next president. This site will be updated regularly and will have information on the position itself, the search process, timelines, and other activities related to the selection of the University’s next leader. The hope is that the next president can take up the role at the beginning of the 2019-20 academic year in July 2019.
Share Your Input
The Trustees’ Presidential Search Committee (TPSC) values input from the University community. There are several ways to stay informed about the search process and to share your thoughts about selecting the University’s next president and priorities going forward:
- Attend a town hall meeting. View the schedule.
- Participate in the online survey. A link to the survey was sent to all faculty, staff, students, and alumni in late July and early August. There have been nearly 4,000 responses to date. If you need the survey link, please email RochesterPresident@spencerstuart.com.
- Use the online feedback form to submit suggestions, questions, or nominations.
- Send an email (in confidence) to Spencer Stuart, the search firm assisting the TPSC in its search: RochesterPresident@spencerstuart.com.
Presidential Search Update
The search for Rochester’s next president has continued throughout the summer. Over the past three months, the Trustees’ Presidential Search Committee (TPSC) and representatives from Spencer Stuart have met with several faculty, staff, and student groups to collect their thoughts and feedback. View a complete list of those meetings.
The current schedule for the search includes finalizing the official presidential position description in early fall. The final position description will draw from input received from members of the University community and will be important in the recruitment and interview process. The TPSC looks forward to making a recommendation to the Board of Trustees for the next president, who is anticipated to take office on July 1, 2019.
To contact the individual advisory committees, please email:
University Advisory Committee co-chairs:
- Anne Nofziger, MD, Associate Professor, Family Medicine, Director, Primary Care Clerkship, Co-Director of Dean’s Teaching Fellowship Program
- Michael Scott, Arthur Gould Yates Professor of Engineering, Computer Science Department
Student Advisory Committee co-chairs:
- Hannah Dick ’19, Eastman School of Music and the College
- Sarah Walters, PhD student, Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Staff Advisory Committee co-chairs:
- Joshua Farrelman, Associate Vice President for Government and Community Relations
- Erin Moyer, Associate Vice President of Advancement and Chief of Staff
Upcoming Town Hall Meetings
Faculty, staff, and students are invited to participate in a Town Hall meeting to discuss the search for the University’s next president. No RSVP is needed. The Town Halls will help the Trustees’ Presidential Search Committee address key questions for the search:
- What are the University’s strongest advantages?
- What makes the presidency an attractive position?
- What are the major challenges facing the University?
- What characteristics would you most like to see in the next president?
Student Town Halls
- Wednesday, Sept. 5, 7-8 p.m., River Campus , Hawkins-Carlson Room
- Thursday, Sept. 6, 12-1 p.m., Medical Center, Class of ’62 Auditorium (G-9425)
- Thursday, Sept. 6, 7-8 p.m., Eastman School of Music, Ray Wright Room (ESM 120)
- Friday, Sept. 7, 12-1 p.m., River Campus, Hawkins-Carlson Room
Staff Town Halls
- Wednesday, Aug. 29, 4-5 p.m., Medical Center, Class of ’62 Auditorium (G-9425)
- Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2-3 p.m., Medical Center, Ryan Case Method Room (1-9576)
- Thursday, Sept. 6, 9:30-10:30 a.m., Eastman School of Music, Ray Wright Room (ESM 120)
- Thursday, Sept. 6, 4–5 p.m., River Campus, Hawkins-Carlson Room
Faculty Town Halls
- Wednesday, Aug. 29, 4-5 p.m., River Campus, Hawkins-Carlson Room
- Thursday, Aug. 30, 9-10 a.m., Medical Center, Class of ’62 Auditorium (G-9425)
- Thursday, Sept. 6, 2:30-3:30 p.m., Eastman School of Music, Ray Wright Room (ESM 120)
Note: Hourly employees who are interested in attending a Town Hall should work with their supervisor to determine the best option. Departments should make every effort to release employees during their scheduled shifts to attend these forums, provided hospital and University operations would not be impaired.
Stakeholder Meeting Schedule
Members of the Trustees’ Presidential Search Committee (TPSC) and representatives from Spencer Stuart have recently met and are scheduled to meet with the following faculty, staff, and student groups. This list will be regularly updated as additional meetings with key stakeholders are scheduled. If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact the appropriate Advisory Committee chairs.
- Spencer Stuart and TPSC met with University Advisory Committee.
- Spencer Stuart and TPSC met with Staff Advisory Committee.
- Spencer Stuart and TPSC met with Student Advisory Committee.
- Staff Advisory Committee co-chairs met with the Advancement Leadership Group.
- Spencer Stuart met with School of Nursing leadership.
- Spencer Stuart met with the Medical Center Board Executive Committee.
- Spencer Stuart met with Medical Center senior leadership.
- Town Hall with Spencer Stuart and medical students and trainees.
- Spencer Stuart met with deans and senior administration.
- Staff Advisory Committee co-chairs met with members of the Sankofa University Resource Group
- Town Hall with TPSC and students, facilitated by the Student Advisory Committee.
- Spencer Stuart, TPSC, and University Advisory Committee representatives met with the Medical School Advisory Council.
- TPSC met with faculty leadership, facilitated by the University Advisory Committee.
- TPSC met with University Management Team, facilitated by the Staff Advisory Committee.
- Spencer Stuart, TPSC, and University Advisory Committee representatives met with the Medical Faculty Council.
- Spencer Stuart, TPSC, and University Advisory Committee representatives met with Faculty Senate Executive Committee.
- Staff Advisory Committee co-chairs met with members of the Emerging Leaders @ UR and the Veterans Alliance University Resource Groups.
- Staff Advisory Committee co-chairs to meet with staff leadership at Laboratory for Laser Energetics.
- Staff Advisory Committee co-chairs to meet with Pride Alliance.
The Search Committee and Process
The Board of Trustees has established a Presidential Search Committee co-chaired by Cathy Minehan ’68, and Danny Wegman. Cathy Minehan was first elected to the Board in 1995. She is also former president and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, and former dean of the Simmons College School of Management. Danny Wegman is chair of the University Board of Trustees and chairman of Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
The Trustees are working with three advisory committees: The University Advisory Committee, consisting largely of faculty; the Staff Advisory Committee; and the Student Advisory Committee. The chairs of the Student and Staff committees are participating on the University Advisory Committee, and the University Advisory Committee members, particularly the faculty co-chairs, are working especially closely with the trustees’ search committee.
The Trustees’ Presidential Search Committee has engaged Spencer Stuart, a leading international executive search and leadership consulting firm with significant successful experience in conducting senior searches in higher education. We expect to benefit greatly from their counsel, resources, and connections.
Everyone involved with the search is eager to hear from all community stakeholders as we begin the search process and as it evolves. Of necessity, many aspects of the search will need to be confidential to attract the best candidates, but the process will be as transparent as possible.
The committee plans to engage the campus community in dialogue about desired attributes of the next president, as well as the institutional goals on which the next president should focus.
The University of Rochester is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively “Protected Bases”) in its programs and activities.
If you wish to submit your own application materials or nominate someone to serve as the next President of the University of Rochester, please send an email message to RochesterPresident@spencerstuart.com with supporting materials.
You may also submit suggestions, questions, and nominations in confidence using the form linked below.
Trustees’ Presidential Search Committee
- Cathy E. Minehan ’68, P’04, Co-Chair Former President and CEO, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
- Daniel R. Wegman P’00, Co-Chair Chairman, Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
- Joan S. Beal ’84E Studio Recording Vocalist and Vocal Contractor
- Carol (John) A. Davidson ’88S (MBA), P’11 Retired Senior VP, Controller, Tyco International Ltd.
- Bernard T. Ferrari, M.D. ’70, ’74M (MD) Dean, Johns Hopkins Carey Business School
- Ani Gabrellian ’84 Managing Director, Gabrellian Associates
- Richard B. Handler ’83 CEO, Leucadia National Corporation; Chairman and CEO, Jefferies LLC
- Carol D. Karp ’74, P’11 Chief Regulatory Officer, Prothena Biosciences Inc.
- Lizette Pérez-Deisboeck ’87 General Counsel, Battery Ventures
- Brian F. Prince ’86, ’89S (MBA) CEO and President, Hegemon Capital, LLC
- Thomas S. RichardsFormer Mayor, City of Rochester
- Lamar Riley Murphy, Staff General Secretary and Chief of Staff
University Advisory Committee
- Anne Nofziger, MD, Co-ChairAssociate Professor, Family Medicine, Director, Primary Care Clerkship, Co-Director of Dean’s Teaching Fellowship Program
- Michael L. Scott, Co-ChairArthur Gould Yates Professor of Engineering, Computer Science Department
- Kate Ackerman, MDAssociate Professor, Pediatric Critical Care and Biomedical Genetics, Senior Vice Chair for Innovation and Integration, Pediatrics
- Diane DaleckiProfessor and Chair, Biomedical Engineering
- Steve DewhurstProfessor and Chair, Microbiology and Immunology, Vice Dean for Research, School of Medicine and Dentistry, Associate Vice President for Health Sciences Research
- Hannah Dick*Undergraduate Student, Eastman School of Music, and The College, Co-chair, Student Advisory Committee
- Joshua Farrelman*Associate Vice President for Government and Community Relations, Co-chair, Staff Advisory Committee
- Carmala N. Garzione Helen F. and Fred H. Gowen Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences, Director, UR Center for Energy & Environment
- Erin Moyer*Associate Vice President of Advancement and Chief of Staff, Co-chair, Staff Advisory Committee
- Shaun NelmsSuperintendent, East High School, Educational Partnership Organization, Associate Professor, Center for Urban Education Success, Associate Professor, Warner School of Education
- Tobie OlsanProfessor, Clinical Nursing, Specialty Director, Clinical Nurse Leader Program, School of Nursing
- Kathy RideoutVice President, University of Rochester Medical Center, Dean, School of Nursing
- Jamal RossiJoan and Martin Messinger Dean of the Eastman School of Music
- Jeffrey RunnerDean of the College
- Edward Schwarz Burton Professor of Orthopaedics, Director, Center for Musculoskeletal Research
- Dena SwansonAssociate Professor, Warner School of Education
- Sheree TothProfessor, Psychology and Psychiatry, Director, Clinical Training, Clinical Psychology, Director, Mt. Hope Family Center
- Jeffrey TuckerAssociate Professor, Department of English
- Sarah Walters*Doctoral Student, Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Co-chair, Student Advisory Committee
- Joanna WuSusanna and Evans Y. Lam Professor of Business Administration, Simon Business School
- Tony Green, StaffDeputy to the Provost
*Co-Chairs of the Staff Advisory and Student Advisory Committees serve as members of the University Advisory Committee
Staff Advisory Committee
- Joshua Farrelman, Co-Chair
Associate Vice President for Government and Community Relations
- Erin Moyer, Co-Chair
Associate Vice President of Advancement and Chief of Staff
- Adam Anolik
Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, University of Rochester Medical Center, Chief Financial Officer, Highland Hospital
- Holly Barone
Chief Administrative Officer, Assistant Director Clinical Services, Eastman Institute for Oral Health
- Bruce Bashwiner
Senior Associate Vice President, University Facilities and Services
- Cindy Becker
Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Highland Hospital
- Jeanette Colby
Communications Officer, Arts and Humanities, and Calendar Editor, University Communications
- Carin Cole
Assistant Dean of Students, Office of Student Engagement, Simon Business School
- Teri D’Agostino
Chief of Staff to the CEO of the Medical Center and Dean of the School of Medicine and Dentistry; Vice President, Medical Center
- Jerald Drain1199 SEIU Union Chair
- Michael FordDirector of Leadership Development, Warner School of Education
- Kathy GallucciAssociate Vice President, Human Resources, University of Rochester Medical Center, Executive Director, Human Resources
- Michele GibsonSenior Associate Dean for Administration and Finance, Eastman School of Music
- Patti GiordanoChief Operating Officer and Deputy Director, Memorial Art Gallery
- Myra Henry
Senior Director of Administrative Services, River Campus Libraries
- Julie Myers
Deputy Chief Information Officer, University IT
- Lisa Norwood
Assistant Dean, Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Kathy ParrinelloExecutive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Strong Memorial Hospital
- Joseph Testani
Assistant Dean and Executive Director, Gwen M. Greene Center for Career Education and Connections
- George VanderZwaagExecutive Director for Athletics, Recreation, and Academic Teams
- Jonathan WetherbeeInformation Analyst, Center for Nursing Entrepreneurship
- Jonathan ZuegelSenior Scientist and Division Director, Laser Development and Engineering, Laboratory for Laser Energetics, Professor of Optics
Student Advisory Committee
- Hannah L. Dick, Co-ChairClass of 2019, Eastman School of Music and The College
- Sarah Walters, Co-ChairPh.D. Student, Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Nicholas G. BattagliaPh.D. Student, School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Chloe BondClass of 2017, School of Nursing
- Adam DeSchriverClass of 2020, Eastman School of Music
- Anthony M. FranchiniPostdoctoral Fellow, School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Robert GeramiClass of 2019, The College
- Daniel Gorman, Jr. Ph.D. Student, School of Arts and Sciences
- Maria HackettClass of 2019, The College
- Yu Jung HanPh.D. Student, Warner School of Education
- Kaydean HarrisD.N.P. Student, School of Nursing
- Lionel Imena-KirengaClass of 2021, The College
- Molly MurdockPh.D. Student, Eastman School of Music
- Anusha NaganathanPostdoctoral Research Associate, School of Arts and Sciences
- Victoria VosslerM.B.A. Student, Simon Business School
- Sasha Tulgan, Staff Deputy to the President