ROSS Training .... RSRB ROSS training 3rd Monday of every month from 2pm to 3pm. Please Click HERE to sign up.
OHSP Initial Certification Instructions
Please follow these instructions to obtain your Human Subjects Research Certification. Please contact OHSP if you are not sure which human subject protection program you should take for initial certification (see explanation below).
Obtaining your Human Subjects Research Certification The University of Rochester's certification for human subjects research is administered through an on-line program called the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI Program). The program was developed as a collaborative effort among various universities and organizations (including UR) to provide a comprehensive selection of educational modules in the protection of human research subjects. The University of Miami administers the program.
For certification, you need to complete a series of short on-line refresher modules with a brief quiz after each module. The instructions below will guide you through the process. When you successfully complete the program, OHSP will receive notification via email, you do not need to provide this to our office.
- Go to https://www.citiprogram.org and click on "Register".
- Select the "University of Rochester" from the drop-down box under Participating Institutions.
- Complete the remainder of the registration steps. Please note you do not need to enter your employee number in to the registration.
- Under step 7, select Human Subject Protection.
- On the next page, there will be two sections, "Initial Certification Program" and "Recertification Program". Under "Initial Certification Program" (top section) you will select the program that corresponds to the type of research you will conduct at the University of Rochester. The programs for Human Subject Certification are the following:
- Greater Than Minimal Risk Biomedical - Select this course if you will conduct research with drugs, devices, biologics, or medical procedures that involve greater than minimal risk such as biopsies, x-rays or administration of radiation.
- Greater Than Minimal Risk Behavioral - Select this course if you will conduct social and behavior research with sensitive topics, such as domestic violence, drug abuse, or criminal behavior.
- Minimal Risk - Select this course if you will conduct research using minimal risk procedures, such as collection of small amounts of blood or other biological materials, most surveys, record reviews, moderate exercising testing, or administration of psychological tests involving a minor level of stress. Please note that if you obtain certification for minimal risk research, but then get involved in a greater than minimal risk study, you will be required to complete certification for greater than minimal risk research.
- IRB (for RSRB members and RSRB Staff)
- You will need to click "Finalize Registration" and then will receive a confirmation email from the CITI program, which will include the next step in finalizing your registration.
- Once you receive the email, click on the link to validate your email address, and then click where indicated to log back into your CITI account.
- Click on the title of the course to begin taking the certification. You must complete the Integrity Assurance Statement before beginning the course.
Tips on certification:
- You can leave the course and come back to it as many times as you need.
- You must score at least 85% to successfully obtain certification for human subjects research
- You can go back into each module as many times as necessary to achieve a total score of 85%.
- Listserv Signup
- Basic Guidelines
- Investigator Responsibilities
- IND Information for Investigators
- Statistics and Study Design
- Listserv Signup
- Professional Certification
- Study Documentation Tool Box
- Study Self Audit Tools
- SCORE Group
- Shipping Biologicals and Hazardous Materials