Skip to content

Identification Cards

This policy applies to: All faculty, staff, residents, students, retirees, alumni, and hospital volunteers.

I. Policy

The University issues a photo-identification (ID) card to faculty, residents, staff, students, volunteers, retirees, alumni and other designated individuals who have access to the University.

II. Guidelines

Individuals are required to have the ID card in their possession while on University premises for University business. ID cards are issued for the following reasons:

A. Access to University Premises:

An ID card permits individuals access to University facilities.

B. Official Identification:

University identification cards verify an individual’s right to be on University premises, particularly areas not accessible to the public. The University ID card also provides proof of eligibility to use various University services such as library loans, check cashing and free or reduced admission charges for University functions. Upon request of a University security officer, department/division representative, or other duly authorized official, an individual may be required to present the card to establish identification.

C. Medical Center:

Display of an ID card is required for all members of the University while in the Medical Center. The ID card should be visible and photo-side up. The ID card satisfies hospital code and accreditation requirements for hospital staff identification.

III. Procedures

A. Issuance:

  1. New Faculty, Residents, Staff, Hospital Volunteers and Students are eligible for ID cards effective the first day of affiliation with the University and thereafter when applicable
  2. Retirees and Alumni are issued ID cards upon request at either ID Card Office location (see III D).
  3. Other individuals: Department contacts are responsible for making arrangements with the appropriate ID Card Office for visitors, contractors, vendors and other non-University personnel who are authorized to be on University premises. An issuance fee will be charged.

B. Replacement:

  1. Lost ID cards should be immediately reported to the River Campus or Medical Center ID Card Office.
  2. Change in employment status/position:
    1. If the status of a faculty, resident or staff member changes (i.e., position title change, transfer to a new position/new department, etc.), a new ID card should be obtained.
  3. Name changes: If a faculty or staff member has a name change, the individual should complete a Personal Data Change Form available in HRMS to be submitted to the HR Service Center for processing. Once HRMS is updated, the ID Office will be provided the updated information so that the faculty or staff member may obtain a new ID card.
  4. Wear and tear: If a replacement card is required because of damage through normal wear and tear, the ID card should be replaced.
  5. If a replacement card is necessary, the original card, if in the possession of the individual, must be returned to the ID Card Office.

C. Termination of Employment:

Identification cards are University property and must be turned in the supervisor, the ID Card Office, University Public Safety or Human Resources upon termination of the University relationship necessitating the ID card.

D. ID Office Locations:

Medical Center Office

Room G-7009
260 Crittenden Blvd., Box MC 303
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(585) 273-2000

River Campus Offices

Public Safety Headquarters
612 Wilson Blvd. Box RC 278950
Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
(585) 275-3437

Susan B. Anthony Hall, Room 114A
500 Wilson Blvd. Box RC 270319  
Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
(585) 275-3975

Return to the top of the page