Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Campus Life

What is there to do on campus in the summer?

The Office of Summer Programs and Part-time Studies hosts an array of events and activities over the summer as well. Test your knowledge at one of our Trivia Nights, relax at an outdoor movie, take a trip to the Mees Observatory, or enjoy some local Food Truck fare at our weekly Tasty Tuesday events.  Find out about upcoming events and activities.

What is there to do in Rochester in the summer?

The Public Market, Rochester’s famous Park Avenue, shopping, dining, and the theatre and concert hall districts are a ten minute bus ride away. Rochester is famous for the many festivals that are offered during the summer. You can check out local events and happenings on the Visit Rochester homepage, or see what’s happening this week in City Newspaper or Freetime.

Sign up for Summer Weekend Highlights email newsletter from Campus Community Connection to get all the latest information on events happening on the weekends this summer!

Where do I park?

Parking permits are required to park on the River Campus between 7:30 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. To obtain your parking permit, bring your vehicle registration, license plate number, and student ID card to the Parking Office, 70 Goler House (Entrance is on Celebration Drive). Prices vary based on the time of day, lot of choice, and frequency of use. More information on parking permits and hours of operation may be found on the parking website or by contacting the Parking Office at (585) 275-4524.

What are my options for dining on campus this summer?

Please visit the dining website for information regarding summer dining options and schedules. 

Can I use the athletic facilities?

Summer students are welcome to use the Goergen Athletic Center for an extra fee. For more information please visit the Athletics website.

Where can I purchase textbooks and other supplies?

The Barnes and Noble bookstore in College Town, located on the corner of Elmwood Avenue and Mt. Hope Avenue, sells textbooks and materials for your classes.  For more information, including hours of operation and online ordering options, please visit their website.

What does the library offer?

The River Campus Libraries offer a world-class research collection – including books, journals, and databases – a wide array of digital media, and a host of services designed to support the needs of students, faculty, and researchers in the 21st century.

Rush Rhees Library primarily serves academic departments in the humanities and social sciences and is home to a number of special libraries and collections, including Art/Music Library, Rare Books and Special Collections, and the Rossell Hope Robbins Library, which specializes in medieval studies.

Carlson Science and Engineering Library, located in the heart of the science and technology quad, supports the needs of faculty and students in the science and engineering disciplines. A separate library in Bausch and Lomb Hall is dedicated to physics, optics and astronomy. For more information, including hours of operation, please visit the libraries website.

I am a visiting student, am I required to participate in the University Health Plan?

If you will be staying on campus for eight weeks or more, you will be required to participate in the Student Health Plan. You can find more information on the University Health Services website.