Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


Am I eligible to register?

The following categories of students are eligible to register for summer sessions:

  1. All currently enrolled students, whether full or part time.

Note: Students who have been placed on academic probation or separated from the College are encouraged to consult with an academic adviser prior to registering for summer courses at the University of Rochester. In general, the following policies are relevant:

  1. Students may not be removed from probation as a result of summer course grades.
  2. Separation from the College for academic reasons is normally for two semesters. Students are not eligible to register for summer courses at the University of Rochester until two semesters have passed.
  3. Students who leave school during the semester for medical reasons are expected to be away for two full semesters. Requests for exceptions may be made to the dean. Students must also be cleared by UHS/UCC.
  4. For more information on inactive status policies, please visit the College Center for Advising Services online handbook.
  5. Visiting students are eligible to enroll in courses as non-matriculated students. 
  6. New University of Rochester students seeking a degree should review and follow the admissions procedures for first year or transfer students.
  7. All University of Rochester alumni are eligible to register for courses, this includes students that are graduating before the start of the first Summer Session. 
  8. University employees can take advantage of summer courses by registering as a non-matriculated student. Eligible Rochester employees may use tuition benefits. If you are seeking to enroll in a full or part-time degree program, please follow admissions procedures.
  9. Eligibility for international students is dependent upon visa requirements. More information can be found in our international students section.
How do I register?

Step 1: Select your courses

Course schedule and course descriptions are available on the summer sessions page or on the course description/course schedule site.

Step 2: Create a student account

Once your account is created, instructions regarding registration will be sent to the email provided.

Any visiting students, alumni or employees that hasn’t taken classes on campus before will need to create a non-matriculated student account.

Step 3: Register for courses

See the registration page for registration deadlines. While no formal application is required, some courses have pre-requisites. Course requirements can be found on our course offerings page.

Please note: If you are an undergraduate student registering for a graduate level course, or a graduate student registering for an undergraduate level course, you will not be able to register with the online system. You can register by completing a paper registration form.

Step 4: Submit payment for courses

Payment for courses is due in full at the time of registration. See the our calendar for payment deadlines. Payments can be made via UR ePay. Payments can also be made at the Bursar’s office. Many international students find it is easiest to pay via wire transfer. Wire transfer instructions are found on Blackboard under the MY ACCOUNTS tab. 

If registering on a paper registration form, you must first pay for the course at the Bursar’s office. The Bursar’s office will then stamp your registration form. Your form must be stamped before taking it to the College Center for Advising Services, 312 Lattimore Hall to complete your registration.

When is the deadline for registration?

The deadline for online registration is May 12, 2018 at 5 p.m. However, online registration for the second session will reopen on June 11 and remain open until June 23, 2018 at 5 p.m.

When is the deadline for making registration changes?

The deadline for dropping a course, adding a new course, or changing a course from audit to credit or from credit to audit is shown in the table below. Courses dropped before the end of the day on add/drop deadline will be removed from the official record.  After the add/drop deadline, dropping a course is considered a withdraw. Withdrawn courses will appear on the official record noted with a “W.“

2018 Summer Calendar

Session A1

5/21 – 6/15

Session A2

5/21 – 6/29

Session B1

7/2 – 7/27

Session B2

7/2 – 8/10

Last day to add a course or drop a course (without receiving a “W” grade) 

May 27

May 31

July 8

July 12

Course Withdrawal Deadline

June 8

June 19

July 20

July 31

See the calendar for a list of dates. 

Please note: If you are dropping or withdrawing from a course, be aware of the dates and deadlines associated with these actions. Tuition refund amounts are determined by date. See 'How do I drop a course?' for details.

How do I add a course?
  1. If you already have a University of Rochester student account, fill out a drop/add form, available in Lattimore 312. If you do not yet have a University of Rochester student account, you will need to fill out a paper registration form.
  2. Ask your professor to sign the form.
  3. Take the form to the Bursar’s office with full payment. They will stamp your form.
  4. Take the stamped, signed registration form to the College Center for Advising Services, 312 Lattimore Hall.

Please note: Adding a course after the deadline requires a petition for an exception to the College policy. Please submit your petition, including reasons, in the form of a letter addressed to the Ad Hoc Administrative Committee of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering, and a completed add/drop form. Bring or mail your materials to:

The Office of Summer and Part-Time Studies
University of Rochester
312 Lattimore Hall
P.O. Box 270358
Rochester, NY 14627-0358

How do I drop/withdrawal from a course?

Fill out an official add/drop form and submit it to the Academic Services counter, 312 Lattimore Hall. Add/drop forms are available there. The date the form is submitted is the effective date of the registration change. After the add/drop deadline, dropping a course is considered a withdrawal, and a “w” will appear on your transcript.

Please note: Official dropping/withdrawing from a course is the responsibility of the student. Be sure to file an add/drop request (as noted above). Notice to instructors, telephone calls to offices on campus, or failure to attend classes cannot be considered official notice of intent to drop/withdrawal from a course. The amount of tuition refunded is determined by the official date of dropping/withdrawing, so be sure to submit these forms as soon as possible.

Is the satisfactory/fail (S/F) option available to students taking summer courses?

No. The S/F option may be used by matriculated students, but only for courses taken during the fall or spring semesters.