Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Tools Search Main Menu

Global Engagement

Faculty and Staff Travel

Any academic or business travel abroad undertaken by Rochester faculty, or staff is considered University-sponsored or supported international travel. This includes work-related travel that is developed, funded, and administered by the University.

Register Your Travel

All University staff traveling internationally on University-sponsored or supported travel are required to register well in advance of departure. Faculty are strongly encouraged to register.

Checklist for Faculty and Staff Travelers

  • 1. Research Your Destination


    High-Risk Destinations
    If you are leading a program or trip involving students to a high-risk destination, you must receive University approval prior to departure. Our definition of a high-risk destination has recently changed and can be found on the Travel Reviews, Approvals, and Restrictions page.

    US Sanctions
    Certain countries and regions are subject to US economic and trade sanctions by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the US Department of the Treasury. For the most up-to-date and complete list, visit the OFAC Sanctions Programs and Country Information page.

    Any proposed transaction, contract, collaboration, purchase, or other transaction in, or involving, a sanctioned country or entity (whether governmental, non-profit, or commercial), or individual based in a sanctioned country, should be discussed in advance with the University’s Office of Research and Project Administration (ORPA).

    Information Security
    UR faculty and staff who travel internationally with laptops, phones, and other mobile devices risk their information security through possible loss, seizure, or tampering.

    To reduce the risks associated with traveling with these devices, read University IT’s Information Security Guidelines for International Travel.

  • 2. Apply for Your Passport and Obtain any Necessary Visas


    Proof of evacuation and repatriation coverage
    If you’re required to show proof of evacuation and repatriation coverage to obtain a visa or other travel document, request a letter online. But in order to receive this letter, your travel must be considered University-sponsored or supported.

  • 3. Book Travel
    The University’s preferred travel vendors are DePrez Travel Group and Town and Country Travel. When possible, please arrange your travel through one of these two agencies.
  • 4. Register Travel

    Register with UR
    All University faculty and staff traveling internationally on University-sponsored or supported travel are strongly encouraged to register their travel well in advance of departure.
    The registry is a convenient, one-stop service that supports emergency communications and access to University-provided travel assistance services.
    Register Travel here

    Register with the US Department of State
    After registering your travel with the University, we strongly encourage you to register with the embassy of your country of citizenship:
    US citizens: Use the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).
    Non-US citizens: Use the Go Abroad Embassy Search.

  • 5. Pre-Departure Training

    Most individuals or groups traveling as part of University-sponsored or supported activities or programs will have pre-departure training or orientations as part of their itinerary.

    If you need a customized pre-departure training session for your group, we are happy to help.
    Request a customized pre-departure training

    Online training
    Please complete the Travel Safety and Resources Module before going abroad.This module gives you an overview of:

    • Travel resources available at the University
    • Health insurance information
    • Travel planning tools and tips
    • Emergency response and assistance services offered by the University


    Access module using MyPath In the search box on the upper right, type in “UR Travel Safety & Resources”, then Enter

        • Click on the selected lesson title
        • If prompted, click on the ‘Request’ button
        • Click ‘Launch’

    Access module using Blackboard

    Search “UR Travel Safety and Resources” in the Course Search or in the Course Catalog, under Administrative.

    Trip Leader Workshop
    The Office for Global Engagement and Center for Education Abroad offer international trip leader workshops for faculty and staff who will be leading travelers abroad on University-sponsored or supported programs and activities. This training covers how to:

    • Use travel planning resources
    • Develop an itinerary that mitigates risk
    • Establish emergency plans
    • Activate health insurance and travel assistance services
    • Register your travel with the University
  • 6. Review Your Health Insurance
    If you are currently enrolled in a University health plan, here is what each plan covers:
    • Aetna When Traveling (PDF) describes covered services for plan members while traveling (e.g., pharmacy, non-life threatening situations, and life-threatening situations) as well as emergency contact information.
    • BCBS Global Core—Search providers, get news alerts and access emergency information and medical translations. Note: When you initially visit the website, you must enter the first three letters of your insurance ID. Those letters are: “URL.” For all UR health plan members, these letters are the same.
    • PRINT your BCBS Global Core brochure (PDF) and carry it while abroad
    • DOWNLOAD the BCBS Global Core mobile app, available for iPhone and Android.
    If you are NOT currently enrolled in a University health plan, here are the next steps:
    • Check with your insurance provider to see what they cover internationally. Some topics to ask your provider about include:
      • Medical emergency coverage
      • Obtaining prescription drugs overseas
      • Locating health service providers abroad
      • How to obtain a copy of your health insurance card


  • 7. Visit a Health Professional
    • All travelers are encouraged to make appointments with their primary care physicians for a pre-departure physical.
    • You should also discuss Immunizations, prescriptions, and advice tailored to specific destinations and health conditions.


    Passport Health Travel Clinic
    For a fee,  Passport Health partners with the University to offer comprehensive travel services to individuals planning an overseas trip. Its healthcare professionals are travel experts who can help you plan a safe, worry-free trip. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call (585) 275-8884 or contact Passport Health online.

  • 8. Review UR Travel Assistance Services, Provided by Mercer

    Review your UR Travel Assistance, provided by Mercer (Medical and Security Evacuation).

    Travel assistance is DIFFERENT than health insurance coverage. Thus, travel assistance has a separate ID card.

    All University faculty and staff are covered under the UR Travel Assitance, provided by Mercer when traveling for University-sponsored or supported activity. There is NO additional cost for this benefit. Travel Assistance provides support services in case of emergencies, including:

    • Emergency medical services
    • Security evacuation services
    • Emergency travel arrangements
    • Information services


    PRINT your Mercer Travel Assistance Services ID card (PDF) (University NetID required)
    View Summary of Benefits (PDF) (University NetID required)

  • 9. Download the University’s Emergency Contact Numbers

    Global Travel Contact Card

    Download the University’s emergency numbers straight to your phone’s contacts by texting the message URGlobalTravel to the number 444-999 or by clicking here on your phone.

    If it’s not saving, try troubleshooting.

    You have three options for emergency assistance abroad.

    1. Call Alan Ryon, manager for international travel and security, at +1 585-857-1168 for immediate recommendations and resource support during a crisis abroad.
    2. Call Mercer, our emergency medical and evacuation assistance provider, at +1 312-935-3542 for medical, security, evacuation, or basic travel assistance. Reference policy #GLMN14301719.
    3. Call the University’s Department of Public Safety 24/7 Emergency Line at +1 585-275-3333 for emergencies.