Skip to content

Student Travel

Rocky cardboard cutout in DenmarkAll University students (undergraduate, graduate/professional, doctoral, and medical students including residents and fellows) traveling abroad on University-sponsored/organized or supported travel are required to register their travel well in advance of departure. This includes travel that is developed, funded, or administered by the University. 


Register Your Travel

High-Risk DestinationsStudent riding camel abroad

If you are a student traveling to a high-risk destination, you MUST receive University approval prior to departure. Our definition of a high-risk destination can be found on the Travel Reviews, Approvals, and Restrictions page. Please reach out to for more information.


The checklist items below are our pre-departure recommendations.

  • 1. Research Your Destination


    High-Risk Destinations
    If you are an undergraduate traveling to a high-risk destination, you MUST receive University approval prior to departure. Our definition of a high-risk destination has recently changed and can be found on the Travel Reviews, Approvals, and Restrictions page.

    US Sanctions
    Certain countries and regions are subject to US economic and trade sanctions by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the US Department of the Treasury. For the most up-to-date and complete list, visit the OFAC Sanctions Programs and Country Information page.

    Any proposed transaction, contract, collaboration, purchase, or other transaction in, or involving, a sanctioned country or entity (whether governmental, non-profit, or commercial), or individual based in a sanctioned country, should be discussed in advance with the University’s Office of Research and Project Administration (ORPA).

    Information Security
    Rochester students who travel internationally with laptops, phones, and other mobile devices risk their information security through possible loss, seizure, or tampering.

    To reduce the risks associated with traveling with these devices, read University IT’s Information Security Guidelines for International Travel.

  • 2. Apply for Your Passport and Obtain any Necessary Visas
    • US citizens can apply for a passport directly through the US State Department. Please review the processing times and expedited services.
    • Non-US citizens can obtain a visa from your destination country’s embassy or consulate in the US.
    • We have also negotiated a reduced rate with VisaCentral, a visa and passport services vendor. For a fee, they can assist you with routine and expedited applications. Access the VisaCentral Portal. Research the visa requirements and timelines well in advance of your departure as it can be a lengthy process.

    If your Visa application requires proof of financial aid/scholarships, contact Lucinda Snyder in the Financial Aid Office.

    International students and scholars leaving/re-entering the US
    International students and scholars should always consult advisors at the Center for Education Abroad (CEA) and International Services Office (ISO) before leaving the US to ensure you can return without incident. If you have a single-entry US visa and you plan to return to the US, you’ll need to obtain a new US visa while you’re abroad.

    Proof of evacuation and repatriation coverage
    If you’re required to show proof of evacuation and repatriation coverage to obtain a visa or other travel document, request a letter online. But in order to receive this letter, your travel must be considered University-sponsored or supported. See tab #8 for more information on this policy.

  • 3. Book Travel
    The University’s preferred travel vendors are DePrez Travel Group and Town and Country Travel. When possible, please arrange your travel through one of these two agencies.
  • 4. Register Travel

    Register with Rochester
    All University students traveling internationally on University-sponsored or supported travel are required to register their travel well in advance of departure.
    The registry supports emergency communications and access to University-provided travel assistance services.
    Register Travel here

    Register with the US Department of State
    After registering your travel with the University, we strongly encourage you to register with the embassy of your country of citizenship:
    US citizens: Use the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive destination-specific health and security alerts.
    Non-US citizens: Use the Go Abroad Embassy Search.

  • 5. Pre-Departure Training

    Most individuals or groups traveling as part of University-sponsored or supported activities or programs will have a pre-departure training or orientation.

    If you need a customized pre-departure training session for your group, we are happy to help.
    Request a customized pre-departure training

    Online training
    Please complete the Travel Safety and Resources Module before going abroad. This module gives you an overview of:

    • Travel resources available at the University
    • Health insurance information
    • Travel planning tools and tips
    • Emergency response and assistance services offered by the University

    Access module using Blackboard
    Search “UR Travel Safety and Resources” in the Course Search.

  • 6. Review Your Health Insurance
    If you are enrolled in the University Student Health Insurance Plan:
    PRINT your ID card at the Aetna Student Health website.
    If you are on your own, or on your parents’, health insurance:
    Obtain a copy of your health insurance ID card.
    Check with your insurance provider to see what they cover internationally. Some topics to ask your provider about include:

    • Medical emergency coverage
    • Obtaining prescription drugs overseas
    • Locating health service providers abroad
    • How to obtain a copy of your health insurance card
    If you wish to enroll in the University Student Health Insurance Plan:
    Email the UHS Insurance Advisor for assistance with the enrollment process.
    If you make changes to your health insurance, be aware of the start and end dates to avoid any gap in coverage.
  • 7. Visit a Health Professional
    • All students should make appointments with their primary care physicians for a pre-departure physical at least 60 days in advance of travel.
    • You should also discuss immunizations, prescriptions, and advice tailored to specific destinations and health conditions.


    Physical Health

    University Health Service (UHS)
    Students planning to travel outside the United States should see their University Health Service primary care provider to review health risks, update immunizations, and plan for health care while abroad.
    Schedule an office visit at least 60 days in advance of travel to assure vaccine effectiveness and time to purchase any necessary supplies. Before coming for your visit, check the CDC’s travelers’ health page for information about immunizations required for the country to which you are traveling.

    Passport Health Travel Clinic
    For a fee, Passport Health partners with the University to offer comprehensive travel services to individuals planning an overseas trip. Its healthcare professionals are travel experts who can help you plan a safe, worry-free trip. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, call (585) 275-8884 or contact Passport Health online.


    Mental Health

    University Counseling Center (UCC)
    The University Counseling Center provides a comprehensive initial assessment and an individualized treatment plan to members of the University community who pay the mandatory health fee.
    Before departing for international travel, students are encouraged to visit their counselor to discuss strategies to reduce culture shock and manage mental health needs abroad.

  • 8. Review Rochester Travel Assistance Services, Provided by WTP

    Review your Rochester Travel Assistance Services, provided by WTP (Medical and Security Evacuation).
    Travel assistance is DIFFERENT than health insurance coverage. Thus, travel assistance has a separate ID card.

    All University Students are covered under Rochester Travel Assistance, provided by WTP, when traveling for University-sponsored or supported activity. There is NO additional cost for this benefit. Travel Assistance provides support services in case of emergencies, including:

      • Emergency medical services
      • Security evacuation services
      • Emergency travel arrangements
      • Information services


    PRINT your WTP Travel Assistance Services ID card (PDF) (University NetID required) or download the number from the tab below.

    If you’re required to show proof of evacuation and repatriation coverage to obtain a visa or other travel document, request a letter online. But in order to receive this letter, your travel must be considered University-sponsored or supported.

  • 9. Download the University’s Emergency Contact Numbers

    Global Travel Contact Card
    Download the University’s emergency numbers straight to your phone’s contacts by scanning this QR code with a smartphone to download the KeynectUp card. Simply open the camera app or any QR scanning app (such as Snapchat) and let the lens focus on the code. Then, click the link that pops up to start the KeynectUp card download process. You may also download the card by visiting the Aerogami site on your phone.

    If it’s not working, try troubleshooting. Or print the card here.

    You have three options for emergency assistance abroad:

    1. Call local emergency services first.
    2. Call the Director of Global Travel Risk Management at +1 585-857-1168 for immediate recommendations and resource support.
    3. Call the University’s Department of Public Safety 24/7 Emergency Line at +1 585-275-3333 for emergencies.

PRINT Checklist for Student Travelers (PDF)