The five-story, 50-foot sculpture made from more than 40,000 compostable balloons currently on display in the Sibley Building atrium in downtown Rochester is the work of University graduate and artist Larry Moss ’92. The exhibit closes this Sunday, February 7, with a giant “popping party.” (University of Rochester photo / J. Adam Fenster)
Walter Cooper ’56 greets violist and ROCmusic director Alexander Peña, who performed at the 2016 University of Rochester Diversity Awards reception at Witmer House on January 20. The Diversity Awards recognize the accomplishments of faculty, staff, students, grads, units, or departments of the University that contribute to diversity and inclusion through exemplary leadership. (University of Rochester photo / J. Adam Fenster)
Governor Andrew Cuomo; New York Senator Joseph E. Robach, Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren; Wegmans CEO Danny Wegman; University President and CEO Joel Seligman and State Assembly Majority Leader Joe Morelle celebrate the awarding of $500 million in funding from the governor’s Upstate Revitalization Initiative last week during an event at the Rochester Convention Center. (University of Rochester photo / J. Adam Fenster)
Sometimes it takes a superhero to bring about change. For nursing, that superhero is Loretta (Lee) Ford, founding dean of the School of Nursing, whose vision 50 years ago propelled the profession in a new direction and ultimately transformed the health care delivery system.
Learn more about the history of the nurse practitioner model, co-developed by Ford.
Multidisciplinary artist Christopher Knowles rehearses in Todd Theatre. The Sundance Kid is Beautiful presents Knowles’s work in a staged performance environment that incorporates many of his diverse approaches, including dance, sculpture, music, and poetry.
The bust of abolitionist and leader Frederick Douglass sits in its new home on the stairway landing in the Great Hall of Rush Rhees Library. The statue is one of the oldest on campus, having been dedicated and placed in Sibley Hall on the University’s original Prince Street campus in 1879.