Printable forms, due dates, and other information for the following plans (please note that you must complete a new form every YEAR):
Families filing a U.S. tax return may be eligible for educational tax credits when claiming their student as a dependent. In accordance with IRS regulations, 1098T forms will be issued no later than January 31st.
The University of Rochester must receive your correct identifying number to file a Form 1098-T, tuition statement, with the IRS and to furnish a statement to you. This will be your Social Security Number (SSN) or, if you are not eligible to obtain an SSN, your individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).
If you need to update or provide the University with your SSN or ITIN please complete the form below and return it to the Bursar’s Office no later than December 31st. Do not scan or email this document as it contains personally identifiable information.
1098-T Frequently Asked Questions
- Does every student get a Form 1098-T?
- What fees are qualifying for tax purposes?
- What am I supposed to do with the 1098-T form?
- Which expenses qualify for the American Opportunity, or Lifetime Learning Credits?
- Who can claim an Education Credit?
- Box 1 represents amounts paid for qualifying tuition and related expenses.
- Box 2 is not reported by the University beginning 2018.
- Box 4 represents reductions made to amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses that were reported for a prior calendar year.
- Box 5 represents the total amount of scholarships, grants or 3rd Party Sponsor Credits that were processed for the payment of qualified tuition and related expenses.
- Box 6 represents the amount of reductions or refunds made for scholarships or grants that were reported for a prior year.
- Box 8 is only checked if you have been at least a half-time student (6 credit hours) for a least one academic period that began during the calendar year.
- Box 9 is checked if you were enrolled as a graduate student for at least one academic period during the calendar year for which reporting is required.