The CARE Network—Emergency/Crisis Services
When a student is in crisis and you become aware of this information during normal business hours (Monday – Friday 9:00am-5:00pm) please contact security and notify the Office of the Dean of Students at 585-275-4085.
When a student is in crisis and you become aware of this information outside of normal business hours (Monday – Friday 9:00am-5:00pm) please refer to the following procedure:
1. Identify the situation as a crisis.
- The student discloses that he or she is suicidal or may cause harm to him or herself.
- The student discloses that he or she is homicidal or may cause harm to someone else.
- The student is in pain and needs assistance immediately.
- The student has experienced a loss of contact with reality.
- Any situation in which you believe it would be in the student’s best interest to react immediately.
2. Gather as much information as possible.
- Locate concerning emails, phone notes, and information from people who know the student.
- Identify the student’s location, phone number, or other identifying information.
- Is there anyone with the student currently? Can anyone respond or assist immediately?
3. Tell the student how you are planning to respond.
- Let the student know how you will be responding to his or her crisis, so he or she knows what to expect and can potentially assist with response efforts.
- Review the list of crisis contacts on the back of this information sheet.
5. Notify appropriate campus officials.
- Each office should discuss appropriate response protocol prior to a crisis occurring. Common crisis response protocols include: Enacting office phone trees, previously establishing a crisis contact person, determine expected reporting procedures, and create a checklist of people who should be notified in a crisis.
- Consider including the Office of the Dean of Students (specifically the CARE system) in your follow-up procedures. www.rochester.edu/care or 585-275-4085.
Alternatives for Battered Women: 585-232-7353
Center for Youth (emergency shelter services, etc.): 585-271-7670 or 886-617-5437
UR Campus Security: 585-275-3333 or x13 or *413 from Verizon or ATT cell phones
Life Line (suicide hotline): 585-275-5151 or 585-275-2700 TTY
Rape Crisis: 585-546-2777
Rochester Police Department: 911
UCC 24-hour consultations: 585-275-3113, UCC Crisis Website