Visiting Students, Collaborators, and Researchers
Every year, the University accommodates hundreds of visiting students and other research collaborators from the U.S. and all over the world.
Visitors enrich our campus community by bringing additional perspectives to Rochester’s research and academic endeavors and help strengthen ties between the University and its partner institutions nationally and worldwide.
The relationship an individual maintains with the University and the purpose of the visit is initially evaluated by the Office for Global Engagement to determine whether the visitor will be enrolled as a non-matriculated student or appointed in one of the schools in one of several visiting categories (i.e. faculty, post-doc, etc.).
- Visiting students come to pursue activities of an educational or academic nature, often to further their undergraduate or graduate studies at their home institution. These individuals primarily benefit from learning new skills and techniques under direct supervision or mentorship. While at Rochester, they are registered as full-time, non-matriculated students and are eligible for standard UR support services. Global Engagement will facilitate the enrollment and onboarding process with the schools.
- Visiting researchers, including post-docs, or faculty are frequently professors, researchers, or scientists with formal appointments elsewhere, who visit and collaborate with faculty members, researcher, and scientists at Rochester. Each school within the University of Rochester has specific appointment procedures for visiting faculty and post-docs, and Global Engagement will refer these cases appropriately.
Global Visitor Program (GVP)
The Office for Global Engagement established the Global Visitor Program (GVP) to streamline the onboarding process for international and domestic visitors. We facilitate communication between the hosting department, visitor, ISO, and other UR offices to ensure the visitor has the appropriate support and resources available while at UR.
Global Visitor Program Process
- For UR Faculty and Administration
- For International Visiting Students
- For International Visiting Collaborators & Researchers
- For Domestic Visitors
Online and Electronic Forms
The Office for Global Engagement will coordinate logistics for onboarding visiting students, collaborators, and researchers. This includes managing communication about the application, intake, and registration processes as well as providing the visitor with information about key needs and services such as living arrangements in Rochester, transportation, and health insurance. The International Services Office (ISO) will continue to provide essential visa-related services to those visitors requiring UR’s visa sponsorship.