For UR Faculty & Administration: Hosting a Visitor
Departments and faculty members are the starting point in the process to host a visiting student or scholar, and we assist by facilitating the internal process and external communication with the prospective visitor.
During this process, departments will communicate primarily with representatives from:
- The Office for Global Engagement (Global)
- The International Services Office (ISO)
For international visitors, it can take six months—sometimes longer—to formally complete the pre-arrival process. Because of the multiple University and government offices involved, we recommend you begin the Global Visitor Program as early as possible. For domestic visitors, the process averages one to three months.
To determine which on-boarding process best suits your visitor, please select one of the below:
- How do I host an international visiting student?
- How do I host an international visiting scholar?
- How do I host a domestic visitor?
- How do I host a visiting faculty member or Postdoc?
- I am unsure how the visitor will be categorized
The Office for Global Engagement will make the final determination whether the visitor will be classified as a visiting student or visiting scholar. Complete the Indication of Interest to initiate the Global Visitor Program process. Once Global has received both the Indication of Interest and the visitor’s Online Application, you will be notified of the determination.
- For Rochester department heads
As head of the hosting department, you must review and approve/deny Indications of Interests, which are proposals from faculty members within your department to host visiting students/visiting researchers or faculty.
- Once you receive a completed Indication of Interest form from Global, review the details of the visiting candidate’s planned placement, paying particular attention to financial responsibility, timeframe, and activities.NOTE: Should the visitor complete their stay at UR with any outstanding fees, it is your department’s responsibility to cover those fees.
- If you are in favor and approve, send an email saying so to the faculty member and to Global within one week of receiving the Indication of Interest.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at URvisitor@rochester.edu or +1 585-273-1665.