For UR Faculty & Administration: Hosting a Visitor
Departments and faculty members are the starting point in the process to host a visiting student or scholar, and we assist by facilitating the internal process and external communication with the prospective visitor.
During this process, departments will communicate primarily with representatives from:
- The Office for Global Engagement (Global)
- The International Services Office (ISO)
For international visitors, it can take six months—sometimes longer—to formally complete the pre-arrival process. Because of the multiple University and government offices involved, we recommend you begin the visitor student/scholar registration process as early as possible. For domestic visitors, the general placement process averages one to three months.
To determine which on-boarding process best suits your visitor, please select one of the below:
- How do I host a Visiting Student?
- How do I host a Domestic Visitor?
- How do I host a Visiting Faculty Member or Post Doc?
If the visitor will have a faculty or post doc appointment, the first step would be to contact ISO directly at email@example.com. Or you may visit their website at http://www.iso.rochester.edu/employment/scholars/j-eligibility.html
The ISO team will work directly with the faculty member and visitor for the on-boarding process.
- I am unsure how the visitor I plan to host will be categorized.
- For Rochester department heads
As head of the hosting department, you must review and approve/deny Indications of Interests, which are proposals from faculty members within your department to host visiting students/visiting researchers or faculty.
- Once you receive a completed Indication of Interest form from Global, review the details of the visiting candidate’s planned placement, paying particular attention to financial responsibility, timeframe, and activities.NOTE: Should the visitor complete their stay at UR with any outstanding fees, it is your department’s responsibility to cover those fees.
- If you are in favor and approve, send an email saying so to the faculty member and to Global within one week of receiving the Indication of Interest.
If you have any questions or need assistance, contact URvisitor@rochester.edu or the Office for Global Engagement at 585-273-1665.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at URvisitor@rochester.edu or +1 585-273-1665.
Resources for Administrators
- PRINT: Checklist – after Visiting Student arrives
- PRINT: Checklist – after Visiting Scholar arrives
- Visiting Student Fees