Patches and Service Packs correct weaknesses in your software. Installing these fixes will help keep your system better protected from viruses, worms, and other attacks. Patches mustbe kept up-to-date to ensure the safety of your system and the University network. Check websites frequently for the software you run on your computer: you may need new patches (The websites for Microsoft and Apple are listed below).
I can never remember...
I'm too busy, I don't have time...
If you use these excuses to avoid updating your computer, you can stop making excuses for yourself and just turn on automatic updates! This should make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside because it’s as if the software designers finally heard your cries for help. The directions for how to turn on automatic updates for Microsoft and Mac users are below.
For general software updates, see the following websites:
- To automatically receive updates:
- Click Start, then click Control Panel.
- If you use the Classic Control Panel view:
- Click System, then click the Automatic Updates tab
- Click Performance and Maintenance, then click System, then click the Automatic Updates tab.
- Click the option that you want. Make sure that Automatic Updates is not turned off.
- To download manually:
To schedule to automatically receive updates:
- The Software Update preference pane lets you schedule automatic checks for updates. It should be set to automatically check by default. Here, you can change the check interval from weekly to daily or monthly
To download manually:
- Go to Apple Downloads to obtain updates.
To update immediately on your computer:
Click the Apple Menu, then click System Preferences.
TIP - If you have Mac OS X 10.3 or later, there's a shortcut. Choose Software Update from the Apple menu instead, then skip ahead to Step 4.
- From the View Menu, click Software Update.
- Click Check Now or Update Now.
- In the Software Update Menu, select the items you want to install, then click Install.
- Enter an administrator account name and password.
- After the update is complete, restart the computer if required.
- Repeat these steps to see if more updates are now available. Because some software updates are prerequisites for others, you may need to repeat these steps several times to complete the software update sequence.
- Click the Apple Menu, then click System Preferences.