Meloria • Ever Better
Search Tools Main Menu

Options to Consider

The University has a number of resources available to support victims’ mental and physical health as well as procedures for handling complaints of sexual harassment within the University and through the criminal justice system. Some options you may have include:

Meeting with Morgan Levy, the University Title IX Coordinator to discuss the support services available to you and your options for filing a report. Meeting with the Title IX Coordinator does not obligate you to participate in an investigation or report the incident to the police.

Making a formal report to University Department of Public Safety (DPS): (585-275-3333)
DPS can help you file a formal report to the University about the incident. DPS can also assist you in making a report to the appropriate legal authority (Rochester Police, Monroe County Sheriff’s Office, etc.) if you chose to do so. You can simultaneously report the incident to the University and the appropriate law enforcement agency for investigation and response. You can also chose to only report the incident to local law enforcement or only report the incident to the University.

If you make a report to the University, DPS investigators will conduct an investigation, as appropriate, and send a report to the Center for Student Conflict Management (CSCM). If they haven’t done so already, staff members from the CSCM will then connect with you to discuss your options, including steps in the conduct process, resources available to support you, and the planned process for moving forward. Some things CSCM and other University offices may be able to help arrange are:

Issuing Active Avoidance Orders: If a student's presence on campus poses a perceived or immediate threat to one’s physical or emotional safety and well-being and/or sense of personal safety and security, the University can issue an Active Avoidance Order (AAO). AAOs are always issued to all involved parties, with the goal of defusing the situation by imposing restrictions that require all parties to actively avoid each other in all situations. This prevents communication between parties and stays in place indefinitely, or until a time when all parties, and the University, agree to void the order.

Helping Coordinate Alternative Housing, Transportation, and Classes: The University will discuss alternative housing, transportation to and from campus, and classes when that support is appropriate.

Taking Interim Measures for the Alleged Perpetrator Student: The University can determine if interim measures need to be taken to or arrange alternative on campus housing or class schedules or remove the possible violator from campus and/or classes or before a hearing can occur.

Coordinating an Administrative Hearing: When appropriate, the CSCM will call for the complaint to be resolved through the administrative hearing process. See below for more information about this option.

File a report with the appropriate police department.
DPS can help connect students to the appropriate law enforcement agency if you wish to report the incident to the police. Calling 911 to directly connect to local policy is an option as well. The police officers who respond may take a report and explain possible legal options including temporary and permanent orders of protections. You can choose to simultaneously report the incident to the University and the appropriate law enforcement agency for investigation and response.

Have medical needs attended to Strong Memorial Hospital (601 Elmwood Avenue) or another local hospital.
Students can utilize the hospital for medical attention, including a SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) exam or for any physical discomfort or pain. DPS can provide transportation.

RESTORE: (585-546-2777) RESTORE provides a 24-hour confidential hotline as well as advocacy support. Reports made to RESTORE are confidential and will not be shared with the University.

Connect with a counselor at the University Counseling Center. (585-275-3113)
University Counseling Center (UCC) can help provide mental health support during a difficult situation 24 hours a day with their on-call counselor and appointments are also available.

Connect with Melissa Kelley, Health Educator. (585-273-5772)
UHS Health Promotion, can meet with you to discuss your options and help connect you with additional resources as needed.

File a proxy report: File a proxy report online. A proxy report allows you to let the University know that a sexual harassment incident happened without sharing the name of the victim. If you chose to file a proxy report, please fill out as much information as possible. You can reach the form online at

Do nothing: Students may also make it known that they want nothing to be done with the situation right now. In those situations where students indicates that they would not like the University to investigate or respond to the report of the incident the University will most often honor those wishes. There are however, some circumstances, when concerns about the safety of the University community are raised by the report. In those circumstances the University will investigate and respond as appropriate and possible without the cooperation of the student who made the initial report.

While it is never too late to make a report to the University, your options to bring criminal charges may be impacted if you delay reporting the incident. If you have been the victim of a sexual assault, we encourage you to visit a local hospital as soon as possible for a rape kit to preserve any evidence (it is best to visit a hospital immediately after a sexual assault but within the first 72 hours of the sexual assault. Having evidence collected within 72 hours preserves your right to decide at a later date whether you wish to go forward with the University's judicial process or with the criminal justice system). If you have suffered from sex based harassment, please reach out to us, we are here to help and support you.