Skip to content

Services and Support for Victims

Explore topics and resources

There are a variety of resources across the University, including Public Safety, that are available to help if you’re a victim of a crime. Explore resources and steps to take by topic below.

Sexual assault and misconduct

Sexual misconduct, including sexual harassment and sexual violence, is a very serious concern. If you are a victim of sexual violence or need immediate help, call us at (585) 275-3333 or dial 911. We can also help get you to a hospital for any medical care you may need.

The University’s Sexual Misconduct website has more information, including the steps you can take if you’ve experienced physical or sexual violence.

Filing a report

There are a variety of ways you can report an instance of sexual assault or misconduct. The University’s Title IX website details all of your reporting options.

A first step that is typically recommended is to use this online form to file a report about sexual harassment or sexual assault. This includes harassment on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression. The form can be filled out anonymously, which allows the University to capture information about what happened in case you wish to make a formal report in the future.

File an initial report

If you choose to file a report through Public Safety, we will treat your situation with the utmost dignity, understanding, and sensitivity. We will meet with you privately wherever you’re most comfortable meeting.

Reporting an instance to Public Safety doesn’t make you obligated to proceed with criminal charges. Our team will be available to answer any questions, provide guidance, and share updates on any investigations that may occur.

There are other University resources that can help. You can also contact a Rochester-area support service:

Domestic violence and Order of Protection

Note: Use the “Leave this page” button in the event you are being watched or feel uncomfortable.

Leave this page

If you have a domestic violence situation on University property, call Public Safety as soon as possible at (585) 275-3333 or X-13. Be prepared to provide a description of what occurred; and the involved party’s name, physical description, vehicle description, and if they have access to any weapons.

If the incident occurred off University property, call 911 for help.

If you have an Order of Protection (OOP) against a current or ex- spouse or partner, you should provide that to Public Safety. We can create a copy and file with your records in case of emergency. Let us know if there are any changes to the order. Also, contact us if the involved party threatens or actually comes onto University property.

There are other University resources that can help. You can also contact a Rochester-area support service:

Robbery and larceny

Robbery involves the use of physical force to steal, while larceny is stealing without the use of force. In both these instances, you can contact Public Safety for help at (585) 275-3333.

  • In the event of a robbery, try to share as much information as you can about the suspect (race, hair and eye color, height, weight, clothing, direction of travel, vehicle details, etc.)
  • In the event of a larceny, try to share as many details about the stolen item(s) as you can. This includes a physical description, where items were last seen, and who may have had access to the stolen item.
Return to the top of the page