Explore Rochester’s wide ranging culinary scene, festivals, shopping, and family friendly attractions. USA Today recently named Rochester one of the the top-ten college towns among mid-sized metropolitan areas.
In 2010 Forbes rated Rochester as the third best place to raise a family. In 2012 Kiplinger rated Rochester as the fifth best city for families, citing low cost of living, top public schools, and a low jobless rate.
One food product that Rochester calls its own is the “white hot“, a variant of the hot dog or smoked bratwurst made by the local Zweigle’s company and other companies. Another local specialty is the “Garbage Plate”, a trademark of Nick Tahou Hots that traditionally includes baked beans, home fries, and 2 hot dogs topped with mustard, onions, and their famous meat hot sauce. Many area restaurants feature copies or variations with the word “plate” commonly used as a general term. Rochester was home to French’s Mustard, whose address was 1 Mustard Street.
Genesee Brewing Company, maker of the Genesee beers, Honey Brown, Dundee Ales & Lagers and Labatt Blue Lime also calls Rochester home.
• Eastman School of Music
• George Eastman Museum
• Highland Botanical Park & Lamberton Conservatory
• Memorial Art Gallery – FREE for UR Students
• Village Gate, Rochester Brainery – Take a class!
• Rochester City Ballet
• Rochester Museum and Science Center
• Rochester Public Market – Food Truck Rodeo
• Seneca Park Zoo – ZooBrew
• Strasenburgh Planetarium
• The National Museum of Play – Classic Video Games!
• Rochester Lilac Festival – May
• Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival – June
• Corn Hill Arts Festival – July
• Park Ave Summer Art Fest – August
• Clothesline Festival – September
• First Niagara Fringe Festival – September
• ImageOut Film Festival – October
Food & Beverage
• Black Button Distilling
• City Grill
• Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
• Genesee Brew House – Tours & Tastings
• Hedonist Artisan Ice Cream – Try the Bacon Peanut!
• Jines Restaurant – Local Favorite
• Nick Tahou Hots “Garbage Plate”
• The Old Toad – British style Pub and Restaurant
• Ox and Stone
• Roc Brewing Co.