Quick Clues about the BTBA Finalists
I wanted to write a lot more about this, but I’m running out of time . . . Here are a few clues about the fiction and poetry finalists for the 2016 Best Translated Book Awards. The shortlists will be officially unveiled tomorrow morning (Tuesday, April 19th) at 10am over at The Millions.
- Authors from nine different countries on the shortlist;
- Books translated from eight different languages;
- Eight different publishers are on the list;
- Half of the books are written by women;
- Yes, there is some overlap with the Man Booker International shortlist;
- Eight of the translators on the shortlist are women.
That should get you started . . . I suspect that someone will be able to guess at least seven of these titles.
As in years past, the first person to email me and correctly identify all ten titles will receive a complimentary one-year subscription to Open Letter.
Over on the Poetry side of things:
- There are six titles on the shortlist;
- Five are by women;
- Five different countries are represented;
- Five different languages are represented;
- No publisher has more than one book on the list.
OK, since this is a bit easier, I’ll give the first person to guess all six a complete set of Open Letter poetry titles.