Health Professions Advising
Health Committee Letter
All health professions schools require letters of recommendation. As a University of Rochester student or alumnus, you are eligible for a special letter known as the Health Committee (HC) letter.
Rochester’s Health Committee Letter
HC letters serve different functions at different undergraduate institutions. At the University of Rochester, the HC letter functions as a letter of recommendation. The letter is based on the applicant’s submitted Health Professions Questionnaire (HPQ), his or her interaction and interview with a health professions adviser, and the academic record. The letter will mention activities both inside and outside the classroom, as well as an applicant’s motivation. HC letters do not include information from other recommenders. Not every college furnishes such letters and professional schools regard them highly, so this service will set you apart from many of your competitors. Because you are eligible for such a letter, failure to secure one for a program that requires or recommends such a letter can be a serious weakness in your application.
You must be a University of Rochester Undergraduate student in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Students who do not have above a 3.0 grade point average who believe they have special circumstances should contact the Director of Health Professions Advising. You must have attended a Health Professions Application Information Session in the semester you are requesting a letter. Applicants should have an MCAT score by July 1. If you requested a Health Committee Letter in a previous application cycle please complete this form. There is no separate form for updates.
Requesting a Health Committee Letter
To have a HC Letter written, you must request one. Full instructions are included with the Health Professions Questionnaire. A brief overview:
- Complete and submit the following materials – all deadlines must be met :
- Complete and submit the entire Health Professions Questionnaire on-line including supplemental documents.
- Attend scheduled Health Professions Advisory Committee interview.
Letters are not written for applicants who do not complete an interview. You cannot schedule an appointment to review your HPQ before you submit your questionnaire.
- Subscribe to Interfolio at www.interfolio.com and create a recommendation request. See the instructions in the Health Professions Questionnaire for more details. You will need to subscribe to Interfolio and provide CCAS with a recommendation request from Interfolio. The Director of HP advising should be listed as recommendation writer.
Once your Letter has been Uploaded
If you are using Interfolio you will need to direct Interfolio to deliver your letter to your chosen programs or services. If your letter is delivered (directly or through Interfolio) to a centralized application, you will need to assign your letter to specific schools within your application account (i.e. within AMCAS or AADSAS you must assign your letter to each of your schools).
It is your choice to decide if your health committee letter is confidential or not. You cannot read the contents of confidential letters, and these carry more weight with admission committees.
- January 31, 2014:
- The deadline to submit completed HPQ (the last day in January).
- HPQ will not be accepted without all materials including Resume and Recommendation Request form
- By clicking submit to the HPQ you agree to the terms stated in the HPQ.
- You must have completed a scheduled HPQ Interview with a health professions adviser.
- If your HPQ is submitted by January 31 and you have completed your HPQ interview, you may expect your HC letter to be ready no later than August 15, 2014.
- All individuals applying to vet school must submit their HPQ by January 31 to be in accordance with VMCAS deadlines.
- Applicants applying to dental school are strongly encouraged to submit their HPQ by January 31 to allow for AADSAS processing time.
- To receive a letter, you must provide a Recommendation Request Form from the online credential service Interfolio (www.interfolio.com). The Letter Recommendation Request Form must be received by the Health Professions Advising Office by JUNE 1, 2014. See the Health Professions website for further guidance.
- Between January 31 - May 1, 2014:
- A late fee of $25 will be charged for HPQs submitted during this period. Checks should be made payable to “University of Rochester.” Letters will not be written if the late fee is not paid.
- HPQ will not be accepted without payment.
- You must meet with a HP adviser for an interview no later than May 1, 2014.
- If your HPQ is submitted by May 1 and you meet with a HP adviser by May 1, you may expect your HC letter to be ready no later than the last week of November.