Health Professions Advising


Pre-Requisite Courses

Schools of medicine, dentistry, optometry, podiatry, and veterinary medicine have similar foundational prerequisites for admission. Because individual programs may vary, however, students should investigate the requirements of their programs or schools of interest and speak with a health professions adviser.

Students can meet most pre-professional requirements by taking any one of the sequences shown below for each subject. Do consult a departmental advisor or an academic advisor in order to choose the appropriate sequence for your ability and intended major. Please also refer to the provided sample schedules.

Pre-requisite Courses for Medical, Dental and Vet Programs

Below are options for students to consider in order to fulfill pre-requisite coursework for health professions graduate programs. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list and it is always best to speak with an advisor to determine which options make the most sense for you. Please also refer to our printable PDF.


One year of laboratory-based Biology coursework (at UR, you will need to take THREE semesters of Biology in order to fulfill the laboratory requirements).


Competency in laboratory-based inorganic chemistry (often met by, but not limited to, introductory chemistry courses) and organic chemistry. Requirements vary from school to school.


One semester


Two semesters with lab (level of coursework will depend on AP credits and MTH placement).


Generally, one semester of calculus and one semester of statistics. Level and specific number of calculus courses will depend on math placement and pre-requisites needed for physics.


In 2015, the MCAT was revised and now includes a new section addressing the psychosocial contexts of health. For that reason, while this is not the only way to prepare for the MCAT, we strongly encourage students to consider a cluster from those given below. This is not an exhaustive list, and which cluster is most appropriate will vary between individual students.


Completing the primary (WRT 105 OR WRT 105E OR (WRT 105A AND WRT 105B)) and the upper-level writing requirements of a major will satisfy most English requirements.