Health Professions Advising
See our calendar for Seminar schedule.
Register now for the 4th Annual Health Professions Admissions Panel!
Saturday, September 27th, 11:30-1:00
Representatives from several local health professions graduate programs will be on campus to speak about their programs, career fields, and what it takes to be a competitive applicant. Space is limited.
Register now through CareerLink.
Many students study as undergraduates at the University of Rochester while preparing for medical, dental, veterinary, nursing, or other health professional graduate schools. Being “pre-med” or “pre-vet” is an interest and not a program or major. It is crucial to prepare for health professions programs in a great variety of ways including, prerequisite coursework, standardized tests, involvement in health-related work experiences, involvement in research activities, community service, and engagement in extra- or co-curricular activities.
If you are interested in a career in health professions, we’re here to help.
Whether you’re applying to allopathic or osteopathic medical, dental, or other health professions programs, we can help you navigate the process.
We provide information on:
- Academic planning (what courses to take and when)
- Gaining clinical and research experience
- Applying to health professions programs
Applying to medical school is a major commitment. Before or during the process, be sure to ask yourself:
- What are your goals? How best can you reach those goals?
- Do you have a specific timeline you’d like to be on?
- Are you interested in research? If you don’t have research experience, where do you start? If you’re not interested in research, what are some other options for you?
- Are you the best candidate you can be if you were to apply to medical school today?
We can help you review your answers to these and other related questions. To contact a health professions advisor, email URhealthprofessions@rochester.edu.
NOTE TO CURRENT APPLICANTS: If you have questions about the health professions (HP) letter that are not answered on these web pages, please contact us at URhealthprofessions@rochester.edu, so we can provide you efficient and correct information. HP letters will be uploaded according to the HPQ guidelines, and on-time requests are uploaded by August 15.
- Prospective and undergraduate students:
- Advantages to Preparing for Medicine at Rochester
- Pre-med students preparing to apply:
- Timetable for Medical School Application Process (for 2015 matriculation)
- Health professional school applicants:
- Information on Health Committee Letter
- Health Professions Questionnaire
- Graduates considering a career change to the health professions:
- Post-baccalaureate Pre-medical Program