Early Connection Opportunity (ECO)
The Early Connection Opportunity (ECO) program helps to prepare students to engage in the academic, social, and cultural wealth of the University of Rochester community.
Jump to information about:
Summer 2022 Residential Program
We are excited for the Early Connection Opportunity (ECO) program to return to the traditional residential program with a new format to meet our educational mission and goals. The dates for the summer 2022 ECO are July 10 through August 6. Scholars are expected to move into their dorms on July 10 with courses beginning July 11. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us at OMSA@ur.rochester.edu.
About the Program
ECO is designed to start you off in the right direction. It will teach you about the attitudes, skills, and social connections that characterize successful University of Rochester students. ECO prepares you for classes, informs you about services you can use when you need help, and introduces you to social life on campus.
The follow types of students are typically selected to attend ECO:
- Students who we believe would benefit from the connections they can make during this summer residential program.
- Students for whom participation in Early Connection is a condition of admission.
While in the ECO program you’ll take:
- Model courses in various areas such as mathematics, writing, literature, biology, and chemistry. These courses are shorter, but no less demanding, than regular courses.
- A series of workshops on using the University's computing facilities (for writing papers, analyzing data, creating graphics) and email.
- A series of workshops on strategies and tactics that will promote your academic success.
- Academic workshops that introduce you to the unique Rochester Curriculum and its three divisions of learning.
There are many benefits to participating in the ECO program, including:
- Becoming familiar with various campus offices such as:
- Learning your way around the campus - the libraries and classrooms, athletic facilities, residence halls, computing center, Wilson Commons and the Chapel.
- Meeting the Dean of the College, the Dean of Freshmen, the Dean of Students, administrators of various programs and professors.
- Making friends with your fellow first-year and upper-class students.
- Getting a taste of residential life.
- Becoming acquainted with the Rochester community and taking part in a selection of cultural and recreational events.
Four credits (the equivalent of one full college course) are awarded for successful completion of the summer program. One or two credits may be earned in follow-up courses during the academic year.
All students who receive financial assistance at the University are expected to contribute to the cost of their education with summer earnings. However, students who participate in ECO will be asked to contribute much less, since ECO will interrupt summer employment.
After four years, you will be eligible for additional aid to complete your bachelor's degree, if you need it.
No fees, tuition, or room and board costs are charged to you. Students must cover transportation costs to and from Rochester, and all other personal expenses, including health/medical insurance. (Health insurance is available through University Health Services at a reduced rate.)
If you wish to participate in ECO, simply complete the ECO Reply Form that is included with your offer of admission and return it along with your Admissions Reply Form to the Office of Admissions. Additional information regarding ECO will be forwarded to you once you notify us of your intent to enroll at the University and to participate in the program.
ECO Participants receive email correspondence directly from our office regarding paperwork that needs to be returned before Friday, June 21, 2019. Below are links to documents that will need to be read, printed, filled out, and submitted to our office. If you have questions regarding the documents, please contact our office directly.
- ECO Policies
- ECO Health Insurance Form
- ECO Insurance Waiver Form
- ECO Insurance Enrollment Form
- Insurance Verification Form for International-Based Insurance Plans
Please contact us:
Office of Minority Student Affairs
Phone: (585) 275-0651