Proposal Development Resources
The AS&E Research Office partners with faculty, staff, and administrators to develop competitive, external grant proposals. The office enhances overall proposal quality by helping faculty and stakeholders with proposal planning and proposal preparation, ensuring applicants meet sponsor guidelines and by improving the content, organization, and visual appeal of proposal packages. Contact Cindy Gary in the Hajim School of Engineering and Lindsey Harrington or Hilary Mosher in the School of Arts and Sciences.
Facilities and Other Resources
The University of Rochester has an excellent reputation as a research institution and this information can be leveraged for grant writing. Some of the institutional resources worth mentioning are:
- Research facilities
- Shared instrumentation
- Computational facilities
- The River Campus and Medical Center Libraries (below)
- Administrative, clerical and technical human resources (departmental as well as central)
- Space-particularly research space
- Ease of collaboration with other University of Rochester schools and units
- Regional resources, including other local colleges
The University of Rochester enjoys a world-class academic library system. The University of Rochester science and engineering library (Carlson), medical library (Miner), and humanities and social sciences (Rush Rhees) serve as important resources for students, faculty and staff.
Each discipline taught at the University of Rochester has a dedicated professional librarian and a rich variety of resources available free of charge to the University community, including access to vast scientific databases, hundreds of online scientific journals, books and reference materials, and research tools.
Laboratory of Laser Energetics
The Laboratory for Laser Energetics (LLE) is a unique national resource for research and education in science and technology. LLE has a five-fold mission to:
- Conduct laser-fusion implosion experiments in support of the National Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) program
- Develop new laser and materials technologies
- Provide education in electro-optics, high-power lasers, high-energy-density physics, plasma physics, and nuclear fusion technology
- Conduct research and development in advanced technology related to high-energy-density physics
- Operate the National Laser Users' Facility (NLUF). LLE houses the Omega 60 and Omega EP systems
The point of contact for LLE is Jean Steve who you can reach by calling (585) 275-5286 or email email@example.com.
University of Rochester Medical School
The University of Rochester is home to a nationally prominent medical school and teaching hospital. Unlike many university medical schools, it is located contiguous with the College campus (less than a five-minute walk from the River Campus) facilitating collaboration with medical school faculty and use of medical center facilities.
Grant Writing Seminars and Workshops
Various grant writing seminars, workshops, lunch and learn sessions, and talks from program officers are sponsored by the AS&E Research Office. Most events are publicized in @rochester—a daily e-news blast, Research Connections—a weekly e-newsletter, and on this website.
Contact with Program Officers at Federal Agencies
Faculty are encouraged to engage with program officers to discuss your project proposal by email. Setting up a time to speak with, meet with, or engage specific program officer at professional meetings and conferences is encouraged.