EVENT: University Ensembles Hold Open Auditions
The Department of Music in the College of the University of Rochester will make it easy for people to put their musical talents into practice.
Several ensembles whose memberships are open to experienced musicians in the greater Rochester community as well as in the University community have scheduled auditions.
The ensembles rehearse regularly and present concerts both on the River Campus and in the community. Auditions will be held prior to the start of the fall semester and can be scheduled by calling (585) 275-2828. Sign-up sheets will also be located in Todd Union, which houses the music department on the River Campus, on the second-floor stairwell bulletin board.
Ensembles and scheduled audition times on the River Campus include:
- University of Rochester Symphony Orchestra: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 30, and Tuesday, Aug. 31, in Strong Auditorium. The symphony orchestra is a 100-member ensemble that performs four free concerts each year. Each player should prepare a selection of two to three minutes that shows both technical proficiency and general musicality. There will also be sight-reading from the standard orchestral repertoire. The orchestra is conducted by David Harman, professor of music and director of orchestral activities.
- University of Rochester Chamber Singers: 4 to 6 p.m. Monday, Aug. 30, and Tuesday, Aug. 31, in 108 Todd Union. Led by L. Brett Scott, assistant professor of music and director of choral activities, the Chamber Singers is a select choral ensemble dedicated to the performance of all periods and styles of quality choral literature.
- University of Rochester Wind Symphony: 7 to 10 p.m. Monday, Aug. 30, Tuesday, Aug. 31, and Wed., Sept. 1, in Strong Auditorium. The ensemble studies and performs standard and contemporary wind music as well as transcriptions from other genres. In addition to regular on-campus performances, the University Wind Symphony undertakes frequent performing tours. Musical director and conductor is William Tiberio, who teaches at Fairport High School and at Eastman Community Music School.
- University of Rochester Jazz Ensemble: 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 2, and Friday, Sept. 3, in Strong Auditorium. The ensemble numbers 15 musicians and is directed by Eric Schmitz, candidate for the degree Doctor of Musical Arts at the Eastman School of Music in the Department of Jazz and Contemporary Media.
- University Choir: No audition required. The choir has approximately 50 singers and presents several programs a year, including a holiday carol sing-along and concerts with campus orchestras. The director is L. Brett Scott.
For more information, contact the Department of Music at (585) 275-2828.