- Defined as being readily available to arrive at work upon being summoned.
- Student must provide a telephone number where s/he can be reached.
We recommend all student workers and their employers read the relevant policies listed below. If you have any questions regarding these policies please contact the Office of Human Resources.
- Student employee’s weekly work hours (for seven consecutive calendar days beginning at 11 p.m. Saturday) exceed 40 will be eligible for overtime pay.
- Student employees scheduled to work the night shift receive a shift differential
- Any work period which includes four or more consecutive hours between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. will be paid $1.00 per hour shift differential.
- Shift differential is paid in addition to the regular hourly rate for all hours worked on the shift.
- Registered University of Rochester students and their covered dependents are eligible for travel-accident insurance upon appointment.
- Workers compensation is insurance that provides employees injured on the job with wage reimbursement and payment for medical care related to the illness or injury.
- Sick time for hourly paid TAR students and graduate students in add-on positions. Students will earn sick time through an accrual process based on actual hours worked in the amount of 1 hour of sick time for every 30 hours worked.
- Paid Sick Leave FAQs
As part of your employment, New York State offers paid family leave (PFL) to:
- Bond with a child during the first 12 months following the birth, adopted, or foster placement of the child
- Care for a family member with a serious health condition (parent
- Assist a family member called to active military service
All students employed through student employment (both undergraduate and graduate) will need to work 175 days preceding the first full day of the leave to be eligible for PFL. For more information see the Graduate Student Paid Family Leave PDF or the Undergraduate Student Paid Family Leave PDF. You can email any questions you have about paid family leave to email@example.com