Advising Services—Current Students

S/F Grading Option

This option is available only to matriculated undergraduate students in the College during the academic year.

A. Policy

If a student wishes to do so, he or she may take a course in such a way that the only grade appearing on the transcript will be either an S (Satisfactory) or an F (Fail). While neither of these grades will affect the student’s cumulative average, the credit earned for the course will count toward graduation. The course instructor is not notified that the student has elected the S/F option. The instructor will assign a grade in the usual way, and this grade will then be converted to an S (if the student receives a grade of A through D-) or an F (if the student receives an E).

The purpose of the S/F option is to enable students to enrich their education by taking challenging courses in areas where they lack confidence in their ability or wish to participate in a course for enjoyment without concern about a grade.

The Satisfactory/Fail option is subject to the following conditions:

  1. S/F may not be used by students in The College for courses required to meet major, Cluster or college foundation requirements, or requirements for a minor. In other words, a student may choose to S/F any course, but after doing so that course may no longer be used toward major, minor, or cluster requirements. Please note: S/F may not be used for applied music courses, or courses used for most certificate programs.
  2. Only one course (or four credit hours) per semester may be elected S/F. (A student may elect one S/F course and also carry a course having a mandatory P/F grade.) The policy does permit students to declare the S/F option for two two-credit courses in the same semester. Additionally, the S/F option can be elected for a course carrying five or six credits.
  3. When repeating a course for a grade, the prior grade will be removed from the GPA only if an S is earned.
  4. The S/F option is not available in the summer.
  5. Once notified of charges of academic dishonesty, a student may not declare the S/F option.
  6. Once declared, the S/F option may not be changed or removed except in the case of a change in major or minor, for Cluster or foundation requirements. (See paragraphs C and D)

B. Declaration

All students declare the option before the end of the eleventh week of classes using the online form or at the Academic Services Counter, except for first-semester freshmen and transfer students in their first semester, who may declare the option through the end of the thirteenth week

NOTE: This deadline (end of the eleventh week) is the same as the deadline to withdraw from a course. The faculty encourages students who may be disappointed by their anticipated grades to consider the use of the S/F option rather than withdrawal.

C. Recording and Changing a Satisfactory/Fail Grade

Instructors turn in regular letter grades for all students. The Registrar records only an “S” or an “F” on the student’s record and keeps on file the letter grades as reported. Students who have taken a course Satisfactory/Fail but later find this course a requirement for their major or minor may have the grade converted. The student should submit a revised form including the S/F course (signed and accepted by the department) to the College Center for Advising Services, and attach a letter asking for conversion of the grade. Students who need a course to meet a Cluster requirement may ask that the S/F be removed in the senior year. Consent of the Administrative Committee is required in all other cases for a student to declare or remove the S/F option after the deadline set by the faculty.

D. Release of S/F Grades

The grade reported by an instructor for a declared S/F course is generally not released to another undergraduate or graduate school. In most cases when another school requests a non-required course grade of S/F to be released, or the student asks for its release, a letter of explanation is sent by the Dean of the College to that school.

Seniors in The College may write to the Administrative Committee requesting that all courses taken on the S/F option be converted on the transcript to the actual letter grades reported. Such requests are routinely approved. The Administrative Committee is unlikely to approve a request for selective changes of S/F course grades.