Skip to main content

Advising Handbook


Withdrawing from any or all courses requires formal action by the student. Merely discontinuing attendance of all or some courses does not constitute official withdrawal and may result in receiving a grade of “E.” A student wishing to withdraw from specific courses should follow the procedures outlined elsewhere in this Handbook. (See Dropping Courses).

Withdrawal at the end of the semester:

Generally the decision to withdraw from the University signifies that a student does not intend to return at a later time. A student considering withdrawal should discuss whether a leave of absence (See Leave of Absence) is the more appropriate choice with an advisor in the College Center for Advising Services. Students who choose to withdraw or are withdrawn from the University may submit an Application for Readmission if they later decide to return. Students who withdraw in good standing will normally be readmitted.

Withdrawal during the semester:

An active student who withdraws from the University on or after the first day of classes but before the time when s/he will have completed sixty percent (60%) of the period of enrollment (semester) will have their institutional charges and institutional aid adjusted based on a daily proration of attendance. The complete refund policy can be found under Policy on Refund of Student Charges for Change of Status.

Dining, health insurance, mandatory health fee, room and board refunds are decided by the UHS, Residential Life, and Dining Services, respectively as applicable.

Procedure for withdrawing:

Students who intend to withdraw should visit the College Center for Advising Services to discuss their plans with an academic advisor and file a Change of Status form.

Students who are no longer on campus should notify the College Center for Advising Services in writing via of their intent to withdraw indicating the reasons for the action.

Students who choose to withdraw will be asked to complete an online withdrawal survey. A student withdrawing from the College in order to transfer to another institution will often need an academic recommendation from the dean. Requests for these recommendations should be made at the College Center for Advising Services.

At the end of each semester, the academic status of each student is reviewed. Students who withdraw voluntarily are subject to academic action up to and including probation and separation. Students who are withdrawn involuntarily (e.g., separation for academic or disciplinary reasons) are expected to follow the guidelines provided to them at the time of withdrawal. See Also Readmission and Probation and Separation