Freshman & Sophomore Advisers
“Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?”
“That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.”
from Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland
The University of Rochester’s pre-major advising program is a collaborative partnership among College faculty and staff; the program’s goal is to assist undergraduates as they make the transition from high school to college and as they craft choices about their academic and personal plans.
Pre-major advisers and students work together to create a positive environment to support the exploration of ideas and interests:
- How to develop educational and career goals.
- Where to find appropriate College resources and information about program and degree requirements.
- How to learn about and negotiate the College environment, its policies and procedures.
- How to develop good decision-making skills as educational plans are formulated, assessed and re-assessed during the first two years.
- How to make appropriate course selections.
- How to declare a major by the end of the sophomore year.