Skip to main content


Academic Services

Special Academic Opportunities

Students are encouraged to take any courses that they are qualified wherever the courses are offered at the University of Rochester to fulfill academic goals. Admission to certain courses requires special permission. Usually, this means permission of the instructor, whose permission code is needed, or whose signature is then required on the registration form. Special requirements must be met in the following instances:

Affiliated Area College CoursesArts, Sciences and Engineering students can take a course at one of the area colleges in order to complement their programs of study. Students can get course information and registration forms at the College Center for Advising Services. Grades received in approved courses are noted on the transcript, but are not used in computing the grade point average. Transfer credit is granted for courses passed with a grade of “C” or better.

Applied Music Courses at the Eastman School of MusicStudents who want to take music lessons at Eastman should talk to the music advisor on River Campus. Application forms for applied music courses are available from the music office in Dewey Hall.

Audited CoursesIf a student plans to participate in class sessions and work without earning a grade for a course, and without earning credit toward a degree, the course can be included in the class schedule at the time of registration as an audited course. There is no extra cost for matriculated full-time students, but permission of the instructor is necessary. The audited course does not appear on the transcript.

Graduate CoursesQualified undergraduates may, with the written permission of the instructor and the approval of their dean on a drop/add form, register for graduate-level courses. (Graduate courses in the Simon School are normally not available to undergraduates.)

Honors Seminars—Special application is required in some cases. Courses and restrictions are listed in the schedule of courses.

Independent Study CoursesFormal arrangements must be made with appropriate faculty members for these special reading or research courses. An online Independent Studies Form is submitted to the College Center for Advising Services at the beginning of the semester. Students are eligible to apply for one four-credit-hour independent study course each semester. Independent study courses required specifically for a major are listed under departmental offerings. Supervised teaching and internships provide other kinds of independent study.

InternshipsIn the College, these off-campus learning experiences require that arrangements for academic credit be made by the end of the third week of the semester. A maximum of eight hours of credit for Rochester-area internships can count toward the degree. Students who obtain approval from the Internship Committee for work outside the Rochester area can receive as much as a full semester’s credit toward their degree. Admission to some programs is highly selective. Questions should be addressed to the College Center for Advising Services in 312 Lattimore Hall. Students interested in participating in internships through the Washington Center in Washington D.C. should contact the Rochester Center for Community Leadership (RCCL) in 107 Lattimore Hall.

The Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences cooperates with private industry to provide several internships to selected undergraduates. Interns are paid for their work experience and thus do not receive academic credit. However, written evaluations of the work experience, both by the student and the employer, in some cases, do become part of the intern’s academic record. Students receive information concerning these opportunities as they become available.

Study AbroadInformation about the various programs sponsored by the University of Rochester and about other opportunities for study abroad is available in the Center for Education Abroad in Dewey Hall.

Summer School CoursesDay and evening courses in a variety of fields are offered in several sessions each summer at the University. Grades earned in these courses are calculated into the cumulative grade point average, and credit toward the degree is awarded for courses in which passing grades are earned. Information about the College’s summer sessions is available from the Office of Summer and Part-Time Studies in 120 Lattimore Hall. Students also may take advantage of special opportunities to study abroad on one of Rochester’s programs. Credit for summer study at other institutions may require approval from the department offering comparable work at the University of Rochester. Approved summer work at other institutions completed with a grade of “C” or better is recorded in terms of course credit, but the grades are not used in computing the students' cumulative average. Further information and approval forms are available at the College Center for Advising Services.

Double Majors

Students enrolled in the College may choose to pursue two majors leading to the bachelor of arts degree. In most instances students may do so by fulfilling concurrently the requirements determined by each of the two departments, which would include the upper-level writing requirements for each major, and by receiving written permission from the respective major advisors to pursue a double major in the other area.

Questions concerning double majors, including course overlap policies, can be addressed to the College Center for Advising Services and the appropriate major advisors.

Double Degrees

Students who plan a program leading to more than one baccalaureate degree, such as the bachelor of arts and a bachelor of science, are required to meet all requirements for each degree plus an additional eight credits and to receive approval for pursuit of these degrees from the Administrative Committee of the College. Students who wish to complete work in two areas as part of a single degree need only obtain approval for each major and for the double major.

Students interested in pursuing a bachelor of music degree offered by the Eastman School of Music while also pursuing a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree offered by the College need to be accepted separately through each office of admissions.


Students may choose to minor in one or more of the several dozen areas available to them. Students are eligible to declare a minor after they have been accepted into a major and before the end of the first semester of their senior year.  Course overlap policies apply.

Return to Academic Services