Skip to main content

Policies & Procedures

Academic Policies

Grading System

The undergraduate grading system for the College is as follows:*

Letter GradePerformance LevelGrade Points
BAbove Average3.0
CMinimum Satisfactory Grade2.0
D–Minimum Passing Grade0.7
XEFailure (academic dishonesty)0.0

*The Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences does not give the grades of D+ and D-.

Grades which carry no grade points:

W—Withdraw without effect on the grade point average
P—Pass (mandatory grading system in certain courses)
S—Satisfactory (Satisfactory-Fail option)
F—Failure (Satisfactory-Fail option)
XF—Failure (academic dishonesty in course with mandatory grading system)

Additionally, in the College, if the instructor in any course regards the written work of the students as deficient by reason of expository style, the grade will be so flagged on the final grade roster. This flag will not become part of the students' permanent records.

Dean's List

Following the close of the fall and spring semesters, a list is issued of those students whose academic achievement warrants notation on the Dean’s List.

An overall semester grade point average of 3.4 and completion of 16 or more credit hours, at least 12 of which have normal letter grades (A through E), with no “I” or “N” grades, are required for students to be named to the Dean’s List. (Seniors and students classified as Take Five or e5 need to complete successfully 12 or more credit hours with normal letter grades and no “I” or “N” grades.)

Part-time students can be named to the Dean’s List by achieving a 3.4 grade point average in the immediately preceding semester if they have also completed 16 credit hours with a grade point average of 3.4 during the preceding 24 months (including summer grades). At least 12 of the 16 hours must be completed with normal letter grades, and the students must have no outstanding “I” or “N” grades.

Probation and Separation

The College regularly reviews the academic progress of registered students and acts to place on probation or separate those not meeting these standards:

  • An overall (or cumulative) grade-point standing for all semesters completed of at least 2.0
  • A grade point average for the latest semester of at least 2.0
  • Acceptance into a major before achieving junior standing and, once accepted, a grade point average of at least 2.0 in the courses submitted for the major.

Usually, the College warns students of impending difficulty by placing them on probation for a semester before considering separation. Students on probation are assigned to work with an advisor in the College Center for Advising Services and encouraged to seek advising, tutoring and counseling assistance. Their undergraduate and major advisors are notified of students’ academic difficulties, as are the Department of Athletics and Recreation, the Director of Minority Student Affairs, the International Services Office, NROTC, HEOP, and the McNair/Kearns programs, when appropriate. The parents of all students except those who are 21 years of age or older or who have declared independence from their parents are also notified. Any student whose enrollment is continued will be considered in good academic standing.

The students' dean can be asked to review actions on separation. Any request must be made in writing. Reviews are granted only when pertinent new evidence is presented.

Financial aid for students on probationary status is subject to adjustment. Federal and New York state aid recipients must meet standards of satisfactory academic progress in order to remain eligible for these awards. Additional information about these standards is available from the Financial Aid Office.

Grade Reports

Students may view their grades online through UR ACCESSplus at any time. Information available to students includes courses taken, grades received, credit hours earned, and semester and cumulative grade point averages.

For University policy regarding reports to parents, see University Records.

Academic Transcripts

Official academic transcripts, which include a record of the students' entire undergraduate program, are issued by the registrar’s office to other institutions or prospective employers at the students' written request. The University reserves the right to withhold academic transcripts in the event of an outstanding balance owed the University.

Bachelor's Degree Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, and Summa Cum Laude

The College recognizes outstanding College-wide achievement of its students by awarding these degrees. The dean assigns the levels of award, based on criteria established by the Steering Committee of the Faculty Council.

Bachelor's Degree with Distinction, High Distinction, and Highest Distinction

The College recognizes quality of performance in a major by awarding the degree with “distinction,” “high distinction,” or “highest distinction.” Each department establishes its own criteria for the varying levels of distinction subject to the approval of the College Curriculum Committee and the Steering Committee of the Faculty Council.

Bachelor's Degree with Honors

Certain departments in the College offer programs of study leading to the degree “with honors in research.” An honors program requires students to complete a minimum of 12 credit hours in courses designated by the department as “honors courses.” These courses must include at least one advanced course or seminar in the course or courses in which the senior thesis or research project is completed. Specific course requirements for each major may be found in the appropriate departmental section in this bulletin.

Return to Academic Policies

 | Program of Courses