Independent Studies

The objectives and content of independent study courses are determined in consultation between specially qualified matriculated or exchange students and full-time members of the teaching faculty. Independent study courses allow students to study subject matter not included or not treated in sufficient depth in a regularly offered course. An online Independent Study Form is available.

Independent Study Course Numbers and Titles

391 Independent Study
392 Practicum
394 Internship (see Internships for Credit)
395 Research


  1. Students complete the Independent Study Form with the instructor with whom they arranged the course.
  2. Submit the online Independent Study Form by the end of the drop/add deadline (end of the fourth week of the semester). Students may not use a drop/add form to add an independent study.
  3. If any questions are raised in the dean’s review of the proposed course, the student will be contacted promptly and will be expected to reply as quickly as possible.
  4. The student is registered for the course.**

*Students majoring in biology or one of the biological sciences tracks who want to take an Independent Research course (395) need to complete the Independent Research registration process outlined by Biological Sciences. See the biology 395 course page for more information.

Upper-Level Writing and Independent Study

Students looking to use an independent study to fulfill an upper-level writing requirement will need to make appropriate arrangements with their major department.

Supervised Teaching/Teaching Assistant Credit

Students should register for supervised teaching credit through online registration or the add/drop process. Supervised teaching courses are typically 390 courses and can be found in the schedule of courses each semester. Please note that students are not allowed to earn teaching assistant credit for the same course more than once. Students are limited to no more than four credits of Supervised Teaching (390) in the same course.

Instructor Eligibility

The person who supervises the independent study/independent research must be a full-time member of the teaching faculty, or a visiting or adjunct faculty member designated by the department chair as qualified to do so.

Students are allowed to take no more than eight credits of independent study credit with the same instructor unless approved by the instructor's department chair, which is normally granted for senior honors projects approved by the department chair.

Instructor Refusal

Faculty are not required to supervise independent studies courses and can refuse any requests. Similarly, any request for an exception to the policies noted above can be denied. Therefore, students should begin their planning early.