The Rettner Hall Video Studio is located in Rettner 305.
The studio, which is 30' x 20', features walls covered in black acoustic drapery, as well as a chroma key green wall. There are two (black and white) 10' x 20' roll-down backdrops, and one neutral gray wall for photography and video production. Floor lights and some overhead lights are also available. More specialized video and sound equipment is available for specific courses. Instructors can contact the studio manager for details.
The video studio is equipped with a Mac desktop computer running industry-standard photo and video software (Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc.). The computer has two displays and is also hooked up to a projector and surround-sound speakers.
Studio Hours and Capacity
Due to Covid-19, additional safety precautions have been put in place and the studio will be open with limited hours on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays for the fall 2020 semester. The new hours are subject to change.
- The hours of operation are Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays from 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Studio sessions can be reserved for up to 4 hours.
- At this time, the video studio is at max capacity when there are 5 persons present. All reservations will need to include the name and contact information for all people entering the space.
- All persons entering the studio must wear a mask and practice social distancing.
Reserving the Video Studio
In order to rent the video studio, you need to have one of the following pre-qualifiers:
- You have taken a Film and Media Studies (FMS), Studio Art (SA), or Digital Media Studies (DMS) course that included time in the Rettner Video Studio and have completed the Safety and Best Practices Review (SBPR).
- You have taken a workshop in Rettner Video Studio.
- You are currently in a course which will give you access to the video studio after the course has had its SBPR and equipment training.
- You are a member of WRUR-TV, UFC, or Photography Club and have completed the SBPR.
Step 1—Safety and Best Practice Review (SBPR)
Students who use the video studio need to complete the SBPR training before they can reserve the space. This training is meant to orient students with space, safety, and basic procedural issues. The SBPR training will either be given as part of your studio courses, or by appointment with the studio manager. Once completed, you will be required to sign the Video Studio Contract.
The SBPR training does not train students how to use studio equipment. Students can take a workshop or join a studio course to learn more about studio equipment.
Step 2—Make a Reservation
Make reservations at least three days before you want to reserve the studio. Before booking, check the calendar (ical or html) for conflicts, then request a date and time through the online reservation form.
A list of ALL persons (full name and email/phone) in the studio during a reservation needs to be provided on the reservation form. Email the manager if you need to make updates on persons in the space prior to the reservation. If an individual isn’t on the list and is found in the studio, the person who reserved the video studio will lose their studio privileges.
A confirmation email will be sent to you once we confirm that you’ve met the prerequisites and the time you requested is available.
Accessing the Studio
Please have your UR ID card for sign-in at the Help Desk in Rettner 201. Once the Help Desk attendant confirms your reservation, they will give you access to the video studio. No unreserved or unapproved use of the studio is permitted at any time.
A number of workshops will be held at Rettner Video Studio. Along with a Safety and Best Practices Review (SBPR), the workshop equips students with the necessary skills to use the studio independently.
Spring 2021 workshops:
- February 19, 2-4 p.m.
- February 26, 2-4 p.m.
- March 19, 4-6 p.m.
- March 26, 4-6 p.m.
Please contact the studio manager for details and to reserve a spot in the workshop.
Closing a Session
The studio needs to be clean and tidy when you leave. Please make sure to complete the following steps:
- All equipment has been wiped down with the provided disinfectant wipes before and after use.
- All overhead lights have been turned off; no lights should ever be left on when leaving the studio.
- All cords have been wrapped properly.
- Lights have been put in the storage area.
- Items on the storage shelf are orderly.
- Backdrops are rolled up properly.
- Table, chairs, and step stool are near the entrance.
- Any item used has been returned to where it was found.
- Read the Video Studio Contract for additional cleaning and safety protocols.
When entering the studio, if anything is left out or improperly put away, please take a photo and email it to the studio manager (within 10 hours), and notify the Help Desk before you start your reservation. At the end of your time, clean the studio properly. The manager will deal with the appropriate students.
The video studio exists to accommodate students and groups. However, sloppy behavior will not be tolerated. Please follow procedures and leave the studio better than you found it. If not, your privileges may be terminated at the discretion of the studio manager.
For more information, contact the studio manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.