Discover Grant for Undergraduate Summer Research Funding: Information for Students
The application is now CLOSED; the application for the Discover Grant for undergraduate summer research will open on March 1, 2018.
Current University of Rochester undergraduates can apply for funding to support summer research:*
- On campus
- At the University of Rochester Medical Center (URMC)
- With a research advisor at another institution
- In private industry
- As part of an independent project under the guidance of a faculty mentor
Only current, matriculated first-year students, sophomores, juniors, and non-graduating seniors can apply. Any research experience after graduation is ineligible for a Discover Grant.
In certain exceptional circumstances, Discover Grant money can be used to pay for things that help make the proposed research happen, such as equipment, necessary travel for research, survey prizes, etc.
Since these awards are meant to increase and enhance undergraduate research opportunities, preference is given to proposals that demonstrate clearly how the funding enables a research opportunity to happen where it would not otherwise occur.
*If you are applying for Discover Grant funding that will be used during the regular academic year, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Research at (585) 276-5306 or email@example.com.
The application process for summer research funding is as follows:
- Search for and secure an internship/research opportunity (opportunity must be secured before applying for funding; your research supervisor will receive a request to confirm your research experience)
- Apply online for funding (application period opens March 1)
- Complete all the pages of the application
- Submit completed application
You will receive an email confirmation after submission.
Award amounts are based on budget submitted and typically range from $500 to $2,500.
*Please note: If you are a Research and Innovation Grant (RIG) recipient, you will be expected to use your RIG before you may apply for funding from another source. For more information about how to request a disbursement from your RIG, see the RIG page.
The exact application deadline for 2018 is yet to be determined; however, the deadline is typically in mid-April. All applications will then be reviewed; funding decisions will be returned to applicants by the end of April.