Learn to Meditate
Koru Mindfulness is an evidence-based program specifically designed for college students, teaching mindfulness and meditation as way to manage stress and reduce anxiety. You will learn skills that help calm and focus your mind, including breathing exercises, guided imagery, body scan, and more! Through learning how to be more mindful, you may experience less stress, better sleep and less self-judgment. Join the over 150 University of Rochester undergraduate and graduate students who have already learned how to meditate through this 4-week program.
An introduction to mindfulness and meditation. This class meets weekly over four weeks, and includes 75-minutes of instruction from a certified Koru Mindfulness teacher. Students will learn 2-3 new meditation techniques each week and will engage in a short daily practice consisting of meditation, mindful moments, and gratitude. TO REGISTER: Click on the class name below.
- Fridays with Meredith: February 26, March 5, March 12, March 19 / 12:00 – 1:15 p.m. EST / Online via Zoom.
- Tuesdays with Felicia: March 9, March 16, March 23, April 2 / 8:00 – 9:15 a.m. EST / Online via Zoom.
- Fridays with Debra: April 2, April 9. April 16, April 23 / 10:30 – 11:45 a.m. EST / Online via Zoom.
- Tuesdays with Laura: April 6, April 13, April 20, April 27 / 9:00 – 10:15 a.m. EST / Online via Zoom.
- Wednesdays with Rebecca: April 14, April 21, April 28, May 5 / 12:00 – 1:15 p.m. EST / Online via Zoom
An “advanced” class for students who have completed Koru Basic or already have an established mindfulness meditation practice. This class meets weekly over four weeks, and includes 75-minutes of instruction from a certified Koru Mindfulness teacher. New meditation techniques will be taught in this course, including loving-kindness and seated yoga. TO REGISTER: Click on the class name below.
- Mondays with Kyle: March 1, March 8, March 15, March 22 / 8:45 – 10:00 p.m. EST / Online via Zoom.
- Fridays with Laura: March 8, March 15, March 22, March 29 / 9:00 – 10:15 a.m. EST / Online via Zoom.
“Learning how to meditate and be more mindful was one of the best things I’ve done as a student here. I’ve struggled with anxiety for many years, and became really overwhelmed by everything by my sophomore year. My grades started to fall as I slept less and tried to take on more and more. I’m so thankful for the skills I learned in this class. It’s not only made me a better student, but it’s also made me a happier person!”
“As a graduate student, most of my time is spent in the lab. As I focused more and more on my research, I struggled with a mind that never stopped racing. Because of this class I am better able to manage my day-to-day stresses. My thoughts may still be bouncing all over the place at times, but I’m not as stressed out about it anymore.”
Learn More About Koru
- Visit the website: www.korumindfulness.org
- Check out the research: A Randomized Controlled Trial of Koru: A Mindfulness Program for College Students and Other Emerging Adults in the May 9, 2014 issue of the Journal of American College Health.
- Read the course textbook: “The Mindful Twenty Something. Life Skills to Handle Stress . . . and Everything Else”, by Holly B. Rogers, MD.