Beginning with students in the Class of 2012, undergraduate student records, from applications to the University through Orientation and then throughout the following years until graduation, are maintained in electronic form.


The College’s Office of Academic Records maintains academic information on undergraduate students and recent graduates of The College.  The official files are kept in this office for all currently matriculated students. Folders for students who have graduated prior to 2012 are kept in an “Out-of-College” file room for five years and then destroyed.  Those for students who leave without earning a degree are kept for ten years.  In addition to files, the Office of Academic Records maintains various lists, compiles reports on the academic status of students and provides certain information to departments concerning their majors.  Requests for student folders are made to this office.  The supervisor of the office is responsible for enforcing recordkeeping procedures and maintaining a record of where folders are at all times.  Distribution of academic information to advisers and some mailings dealing with the academic advising of the students are also handled by this office.


  1. Information kept in all folders:
    1. Tab information including student’s name, classification, ID number, adviser, major and minor.
    2. Student’s current advising record (and grade reports).
    3. Student’s program slips, and Drop/Add forms which include the signature of the Dean or show that a “W” was processed.
    4. Student’s application to the University of Rochester, including high school record, and College Board scores when available.
    5. Rochester Curriculum/major/minor forms.
    6. Degree Audit forms
  2. Information found in some of the folders when appropriate:
    1. Change of Status form.
    2. Advanced Placement information sheet.
    3. Letters from the Dean in regard to academic action (i.e.,probation, separation).
    4. Mid-term warning letters or letters concerning continuation in basic science sequences.
    5. Grade Change Notices and Incomplete grades reported.
    6. Approvals for courses taken outside the University.
    7. Incomplete contracts.
    8. Take Five or KEY materials in special tabbed folder.
    9. Study Abroad materials in special tabbed folder.
    10. Petitions to the Administrative Committee or Dean.
    11. Transfer and readmit evaluations of credit and other information on these students.
    12. Prize and award letters.
    13. Letters of recommendation.
    14. Parental correspondence in regard to academic matters.
    15. Adviser and faculty comments about advisees or students.
    16. Descriptions of independent study courses.
    17. Cluster exception forms.
    18. Change of Address form.
    19. Certificate program approval forms.
    20. Copy of S/F selection form.
    21. Copy of “repeat” course form.

C. REQUESTS FOR STUDENT FOLDERS (See Confidentiality of Files)

Requests for students’ academic folders are made directly to the College’s Office of Academic Records by authorized persons.  Persons requesting to see a folder must use the folder in a designated area of the Office of Academic Records only.  Folders of recent graduates, separated students, and students who have withdrawn are available less frequently from the Office of Academic Records.

Students who wish to examine their folders should make an appointment to see their Associate Dean.


  1. Advisee folders (sent to pre-major advisers).
    1. Course Planning, Placement and Recommendation Form
  2. Advisee folders (sent to department when student declares major).
    1. Copy of Rochester Curriculum/major form (and copy of other major form if double major).
    2. Copy of current advising record.
    3. Copy of latest grade report, if appropriate.
    4. Copy of probation letter from current or previous semester.
    5. Copy of current program slip.
    6. Copy of transfer credit evaluation, if credit is not yet noted on transcript.
  3. Copies of the following are sent routinely to pre-major advisers and to the departmental adviser for declared majors:
    1. Change of Status forms.
    2. Transfer credit evaluations.
    3. Midterm warning letters.
    4. Probation letters.
    5. Notice of reclassification.
  4. Routine mailings to department throughout the year:
    1. August—Registrar sends copies of advising records for majors including students who have just graduated. Registrar sends Phase I degree audits for upcoming seniors as well.
    2. October—Lists of actual and potential majors, minors, and clusters.
    3. February—Lists of actual and potential majors, minors, and clusters.
  5. Also available upon request:
    1. Fall semester grade reports.
    2. Spring semester grade reports.


Lists of students' academic status are maintained so as to aid in the distribution of adviser materials and for reference. It is the responsibility of the Supervisor of Academic Records to keep these lists accurate and up-to-date. The lists include:

  1. Class lists with majors, minors and degree.
  2. Departmental lists of majors.
  3. Departmental lists of minors.
  4. Departmental lists of clusters.
  5. Unclassified Juniors.
  6. Double majors and double degree students.
  7. Adviser mailing lists.


  1. Change of Status. Issued periodically; final reports in March and October.
  2. Official undergraduate majors, minors, and clusters. Issued in June.
  3. Intended majors. Issued in October.
  4. Academic Probation. Issued in January and June.
Go back to the Adviser's Handbook Index