College Center for Advising Services

Transfer Credit

(See Primary Writing RequirementIntercollegiate Registration, Inactive StatusStudy AbroadSummer School Courses, Advanced PlacementInternational BaccalaureateA-Level Examinations.)

Note that a Transfer Credit Manual containing detailed procedures and information is available in the Center for Advising Services.

Related Resource: MCC Transferable List

Students should be advised to follow the instructions outlined below in order to ensure that courses will transfer back to the College.

  1. Request a catalog or summer bulletin from the other school or go online. (No approvals are needed for UR summer courses.) Summer bulletins are generally available in mid-March or April.
  2. Pick up a Course Approval Form from the Academic Services Counter outside Lattimore 312.
  3. Pick out the courses. The general faculty policy is that courses that are similar in content to courses offered by UR will transfer. Students cannot earn credit for a similar course already successfully completed here. Transfer credit may be awarded for on-line courses assuming the course content is similar to courses offered at UR. Courses for a major or minor must be approved by the authorized faculty member in the appropriate department (see below). In some cases, a department may determine that an on-line course is not comparable in content to a course offered at UR.
  4. List the courses on the Course Approval Form, attach the course descriptions, and seek approval as follows:
    1. Elective courses can usually be approved by any adviser in the College Center for Advising Services (or the Hajim School’s Dean’s Office). In the case of an ambiguous description, or when a department has requested it, the adviser may refer the student to a department for approval. Note: courses may not be transferred into clusters.
    2. Courses for the major or minor must be approved by the authorized faculty member in the appropriate department. A list of faculty who approve transfer credit on behalf of their departments is posted at the Academic Services Counter and is available at
    3. Courses to be used toward a certificate first require approval as noted above. Students in Actuarial Studies, Asian Studies, and Mathematical Modeling request the written approval of the chair of their Certificate Committee and return the Course Approval Form to the attention of the Multidisciplinary Studies Center. Students in Polish and Central European Studies request the written approval of their PCE adviser and likewise return the form to the Multidisciplinary Studies Center.
    4. Credit is not given for CLEP exams.
  5. Submit the approved Course Approval Form to Lattimore 312.
  6. Upon completion of the course(s), ask the Registrar at the other school to send an official transcript to the College Center for Advising Services.

    Send hardcopy transcripts to:
    Center for Advising Services
    Lattimore 312
    PO Box 270402
    University of Rochester
    Rochester, NY 14627-0402

           Send electronic transcripts to:

A maximum of 64 credit hours is transferable to the UR degree from two-year schools. Other than the maximum of 64 credits that can be transferred from a two-year school, there is no specified limit to the amount of credit that can be earned through on-line courses. Approved courses that are completed with a grade of C or better will transfer. Please note: Only the credit will transfer. The grades do not transfer and will not affect the GPA, therefore the grades cannot replace grades earned at UR. A Transfer Credit Evaluation will be emailed to the student. The number of transfer credit hours to be granted is determined by comparison of total hours required for graduation; for example, a student who had earned 15 credits at a school requiring 120 credits for the degree would be awarded 16 credits here, based on our degree requirement of 128 hours.

Courses taken while a student was in high school which were sponsored by a college but were taught in the high school are not approved for transfer credit. However, students enrolled in college coursework on a college campus are eligible to receive transfer credit assuming the courses are completed with a grade of C or better and are approved. Students who believe their situations warrant an exception should always speak with a CCAS adviser. A special petition form is available for coursework taught in the high school. It requires a comprehensive letter of support from the appropriate faculty member. The final decision then is made by the Dean of the College.

Students who have taken credit-bearing courses at the University of Rochester while in high school, through the Taste of College program or otherwise, should be aware of the following. Grades for these courses will be factored into the cumulative grade point average and credit will count toward undergraduate degree requirements. Students have the option of requesting that these courses be treated as if they were transfer courses, in which case the grade will be removed from the average, and credit will be counted toward degree requirements as long as the grade was a “C” or better. Petitions should be submitted to the College Center for Advising Services.

Freshmen who defer their enrollment are permitted to transfer a maximum of eight credits from another college or university.

Transcripts and score reports from other institutions kept in the sudent's academic file in the Office of Records are the property of the University of Rochester and, as such, are under federal policy. A student has the right to view the documents in his or her file. However, per College policy, the College is not required to provide (or allow the making of) copies of these documents. Transcripts submitted to the University of Rochester for admission or credit transfer become the property of the University of Rochester and cannot be returned to the student or forwarded to other institutions.

Go back to the Adviser's Handbook Index