College Center for Advising Services


Withdrawing from any or all courses requires formal action by the student. Merely discontinuing attendance at all or some courses does not constitute official withdrawal and may result in receiving a grade of “E.” A student wishing to withdraw from specific courses should follow the procedures outlined elsewhere in this Handbook.  (See Dropping Courses)

A student wishing to withdraw completely should:

A. Go to the Center for Advising Services or the Hajim School’s Dean’s Office to start the withdrawal procedure, meet with an academic adviser or class dean, and file a Change of Status form. If not on campus, students may email

B. If not on campus, notify the Center for Advising Services in writing of his/her intent to withdraw indicating the reasons for the action.

Students who withdraw or declare inactive status after classes have begun through the first 50% of the term will receive a refund of tuition, activity and health fees according to the following schedule:

Before the first Sunday of the term: 100% refund
Before the second Sunday of the term: 90% refund
Before the fifth Sunday of the term: 50% refund
Before the eighth Sunday of the term: 25% refund
After the eighth Sunday of the term: 0% refund

Health insurance, room and board refunds are decided by the UHS, Residential Life, and the Services Division respectively.

Students with medical or emotional difficulties who wish to leave school should sign a Medical Information Request Form in the Center for Advising Services. The College will then ask the University Health Service, to which the student should be referred, whether there is sufficient evidence of illness to recommend such an action. If UHS recommends to the College that the student may withdraw or declare inactive for medical reasons, and the dean authorizes this step, the tuition charges are pro-rated based on the effective date that is set by the UHS. Students who declare inactive status but who are subject to some or all of the tuition charge need not pay the usual fee for that semester. (Students who are seeing a private physician may ask that person to send complete details to the director of the UHS, who will make the recommendation to the dean about whether, and when, the student may be permitted to leave for medical reasons.) Students who leave for medical reasons are required to receive clearance from the UHS before their return.  Students who receive medical or psychological treatment during their time away are expected to consult with the University Health Service before readmission can occur. The University Health Service will not evaluate a student who left for mental health reasons in order to clear them for readmission until at least six to nine months have passed since the student left. (Those who leave for mental health reasons are normally expected to be away a full year.)

Students whose circumstances seem to be extenuating, although not medical, may write to the dean to explain the circumstances and ask for an exception to the published refund policy. The dean will review the case and decide if he is able to permit a pro-rate of tuition charges.

Students who leave school during the semester are expected to be away for two full semesters. Requests for exceptions may be made to the dean.

The academic status in each course for which the student is registered at the time of withdrawal will be determined by the College in consultation with the instructor unless the student drops or withdraws from them at the time of leaving. A student withdrawing from the College will often need an academic recommendation from the dean for application to another school. Requests for these recommendations should be made at the Center for Advising Services.

Status of students who withdraw:

A. Academic action is determined at the end of the term regardless of whether the student intends to return.  Thus:

  1. A student could withdraw, yet have the status in the College of having been separated for academic reasons.
  2. A student could withdraw, yet be on academic probation.
  3. A student could withdraw, but not have an application for readmission be considered until two semesters have intervened.

B. When asked by another institution, “Is a student in good standing?” or “Did he or she leave in good standing?” the following guidelines are used:

“Not in good standing” means only that he or she was separated. A student “on probation” is still in good standing. That is, he or she is in good standing as long as the student is eligible to register next term.

Go back to the Adviser's Handbook Index