Skip to main content


Credit Transfer Procedures

On completion of the program, it is your responsibility to see that the college which sponsored your program sends an official transcript to the Center for Education Abroad. Credit will be granted for all approved courses in which you have earned a C or better. 

Be aware that grades and transcripts are often issued by study abroad programs several months after you complete your studies overseas. Transcripts from spring semester programs may arrive in our office from July until October. Fall program transcripts normally arrive between February and May. If you go abroad as a first-semester senior, it is essential to request your transcript from the program as early as possible.

If you receive financial aid, your grades from the program will need to be reviewed to confirm that you are maintaining satisfactory academic progress before aid can be disbursed for the semester following your study abroad program.   If it is determined that you are not meeting those requirements, you will be notified by the Financial Aid Office.   It is important to request your transcript as soon as possible from your program so that this review can be conducted in a timely manner.  Until this review is completed, your financial aid will not disburse to your student billing account.

Credits may be transferred for elective, major, and minor credit. Course Approval Forms are available at the Center for Education Abroad and at the College Center for Advising Services. You may transfer courses toward clusters if you go on a Rochester-sponsored study abroad program. Consult with the authorized faculty member in the relevant department.

Credit for Language Courses

The Department of Modern Languages and Cultures (MLC) will NOT grant credit to students who enroll in a class that is at the same or a lower level as a class they have taken before their semester abroad. In order to avoid credit transfer confusion or problems, it is imperative that each student consult with the appropriate advisor in MLC before departure and registration.

Elective Credit

Bring or send an official catalogue description of each course to the Center for Education Abroad, preferably before you leave for your semester abroad. Courses that are comparable to those offered at the University of Rochester will be approved for elective credit.

In some cases, you may be asked to submit the description to a faculty member for approval. All foreign language courses need approval from the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures or the Department of Religion and Classics.

Internships and Independent Study

With the exception of the University's Internships in Europe program, independent studies or internships taken on study abroad programs cannot receive pre-approval for transfer credit. While completing the independent study or internship, be sure to keep documentation of all academic work.

When you return, you need to submit this documentation to an appropriate faculty member in order for transfer credit to be granted. You should discuss your plans with faculty before going overseas because some departments do not grant transfer credit for independent studies or internships, even for elective credit.


Grades for courses graded by University of Rochester faculty appear on the transcript and are calculated into the grade point average (GPA).

Grades received on University of Rochester-sponsored programs appear on your Rochester transcript but do not count in your GPA.

Grades earned on programs sponsored by other colleges do not appear on your University of Rochester transcript and do not count in your GPA.