There are many scholarships designed specifically for study abroad. We strongly encourage you to consider applying as Rochester students have won these scholarships in the past. Even if you can easily afford to pay for your semester or year abroad, you should still consider these scholarships. Some of them are merit-based and represent an academic honor that would enhance your resume. See our program costs and fees page for a list of expenses associated with education abroad.
- General scholarships
- Program specific scholarships
- Society member scholarships
- Additional funding resources
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
Description: Enables students who have limited financial means to participate in study abroad opportunities worldwide.
Eligibility: Students must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant at the time of application and cannot be studying abroad in a country currently under a US Department of State Travel Warning, or in Cuba.
- Summer 2017: October 4, 2016
- Fall 2017: March 7, 2017
- Full Year 2017–18: March 7, 2017
- Spring 2018: October 3, 2017
Description: This scholarship is for students of Italian descent who are legal residents of, or from, the greater Rochester area.
Deadline: April 1, 2017
Dante Scholarship Flyer
National Security Education Program
Description: This program is a US government program to promote study in certain non-western countries. The program involves a national competition, and University of Rochester students have won scholarships in recent years.
Eligibility: Must be a US citizen applying to a study abroad program that meets home institution standards in a country outside of Western Europe, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand.
Deadline: February 9, 2017
Danish Institute for Study Abroad (DIS)
The institute offers four different types of scholarships for students to study with DIS in Denmark:
- DIS Scholarship: Awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need.
- Diversity Scholarship: Awarded to support students from populations that are underrepresented in study abroad such as those from diverse ethnic, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, and educational backgrounds, including first-generation college students.
- Pioneer Scholarship: Awarded $500 to $3,000 based on financial need, this award is available only to DIS Stockholm students enrolling in the fall 2017 semester; may be combined with above scholarships for an individual maximum of up to $8,000.
- Jacob Buksti Memorial Scholarship: This merit-based award for political science, international relations, economics, or related majors looking to pursue a career in politics.
- Fall/Full Academic Year: April 1
- Spring: October 15
- Summer: March 15
Description: The Association of Teachers of Japanese Bridging Project offers scholarships to American students participating in study
-abroad programs in Japan.
Eligibility: Undergraduate students majoring in any field of study are eligible to apply for these scholarships. Japanese language study is not a prerequisite. Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents and be enrolled in a college or university in the United States.
- Fall 2017: April 11, 2017
- Spring 2018: October 11, 2017
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Description: This is a merit
Eligibility: Sophomores and juniors looking to study abroad in Germany next year who demonstrate an interest in contemporary German and European affairs.
Deadline: January 31, 2017
The Burton Fellowship, which is offered by the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, applies specifically to students who are interested in summer study abroad to study language.
The Hajim International Experience Scholarship (funded by The Hajim Dean’s Office offers grants for undergraduate students to pursue academic studies or credit-bearing, career-oriented, and research internships abroad. Such international exchange is intended to better prepare Hajim students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world.
Program Specific Scholarships
Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
CIEE offers several different types of scholarships for students who are applying to participate in a study abroad program sponsored by CIEE:
- CIEE Gilman Go Global Grant: This grant covers $2,500 toward program costs and $1,500 toward airfare for semester programs, and $1,000 toward program costs and $1,500 toward airfare for summer programs
- CIEE Global Access Initiative (Gain) Grants: $750 to $2,000 toward airfare; award amount depends on CIEE program location
- Ping Scholarship for Academic Excellence: $2,500 toward all semester or year-long CIEE program costs
- Ritzmann Tropical and Marine Ecology Scholarship: $2,500 toward CIEE’s sustainability and the environment, or tropical ecology and conservation semester or year-long programs
- Stohl International Undergraduate Research Scholarship: $2,500 toward CIEE semester or year-long programs that offer research opportunities
- Wollitzer Merit Scholarship in Area or Comparative Studies: $2,500 toward CIEE semester or year-long programs in Africa, Asia, and Latin America
- Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship: To increase access to study abroad by more students at minority serving institutions (MSIs), CIEE will cover 100 percent of program fees and travel costs for 10 students from 10 different MSIs each year (2017–2019) to participate in a four-week summer study abroad program
Institute for the International Education of Students (IES)
IES offers over 15 different scholarships and grants for students who are applying to IES programs.
- Need-Based Aid
- Semester/Year/J-Term: Up to $5,000 for semester program or $500 for J-Term program
- Summer: Up to $1,000
- Donor-Funded Scholarships
- Clarence & Alberta Giese Scholarship
- Dr. Roswitha Benesch Endowed Scholarship
- Edward Mowatt Scholarship
- Ezio & Fiammetta Vergani Scholarship
- GCM Grosvenor Scholarship
- Kathleen Kervin Diamond Scholarship
- Kathryn M. & Dan E. Moore Scholarship
- Marion & Luis de Hoyos Scholarship
- Paul & Brita Koutny Founders Scholarship
- Sam McQuade Nantes Endowed Scholarship in Memory of Mme Suzanne Hugues
- Study Abroad Scholarship for Future Engineers
- Thomas Tusher Scholarship
- Vera Isaacs Schwartz Stipend
- William & Fannie Steinberg Scholarship
- Diversity Scholarship
- Need-Based David Porter Scholarship: Up to $5,000 for students who are historically underrepresented in study abroad
Critical Language Scholarships
This is a fully funded summer abroad program to help students gain mastery over one of the following critical languages:
*Students must have at least one or two years of academic experience in these languages to be eligible.
Hebrew University offers a variety of need-based and merit-based scholarships for students who plan to study abroad at its Rothberg International School.
- Merit Scholarships: This scholarship award is in the amount of $6,000 for one year of study, and $3,000 for one semester of study.
- Spring in Jerusalem Honors Program Scholarship: A limited number of merit awards are offered to highly qualified, motivated candidates participating in the Spring in Jerusalem Honors Program from universities throughout the United States.
- Art Merit Scholarship: This scholarship award is in the amount of $6,000 for one year of study, and $3,000 for one semester of study.
- RIS Levine Scholarship: The Louis Levine Scholarship is awarded to an outstanding student with a keen desire to further scientific knowledge in our ever-changing world.
Society Member Scholarships
Additional Funding Resources
Increasingly, students are finding non-traditional ways to finance their abroad experience including crowdsourcing using:
Note: The money received through crowdfunding is considered taxable income. Before making a request, you need to consider how receiving such funds will affect you.
Other general websites for study abroad scholarships:
- International Financial Aid and College Scholarship Search (IEFA)
- Michigan State’s Affording Study Abroad page
- IIE Study Abroad Funding
- Diversity Abroad scholarships page
- Fund For Education Abroad
- Study Abroad 101 scholarships page