This is a request to carry more than 19 credits at any time during the semester. The request is often made on a Drop/Add form available in Lattimore 312. (Students wanting an overload at the time of registration are permitted to register for up to 23 credit hours. This is temporary approval only, and students are required to drop to 19 credits or less unless they meet the conditions that follow by the beginning of the semester.) All students requesting this permission need to obtain approval of their dean (generally from delegates at the Lattimore 312 counter).
Approval of the dean for an overload is subject to the following conditions and may be granted contingent upon meeting these conditions:
- That a requested overload in the senior year will permit a student to complete all graduation requirements by Commencement.
- That the required 3.0 average for the previous semester has been attained for overloads up to 23 credits. Special consideration will be given in unusual circumstances.
- That for overloads of 24 credits (or more), a minimum 3.4 grade point average the previous semester is required. Students wishing to overload must submit a Petition to the Administrative Committee which should include the list of proposed courses along with a reason for enrolling in each course.
- That no first-semester first year student may take more than three credit hours over their four full-credit courses. (A mandatory lab is considered part of the course.) NOTE: A student in their first semester could, for example, register for CHM 131 (5 credits), JPN 101 (6 credits), WRT 105 (4 credits) and PSY 101 (4 credits) and remain eligible to carry three additional credit hours for a total of 22 credit hours.
- That no Incomplete grades from previous semesters exist.
- That the student be considered likely to do well in the program.
- That upon consideration of the relationship of the overload to the total academic program, such an academic load is necessary.
- That six full courses normally will not be permitted.
- That the overload course is taken for academic enrichment. (See Acceleration)
- That for overloads of 24 credits (or more), a minimum 3.4 grade point average the previous semester is required. Students wishing to overload must submit a Petition to the Administrative Committee which should include the list of proposed courses along with a reason for enrolling in each course. Additionally, students should indicate in their petition that they have talked with an advisor (either Undergraduate advisor, major advisor, or CCAS advisor) about their plans and provide the name of the advisor.
Office Procedure for Overloads and Underloads
A copy of the Drop/Add form is retained and filed in the College Office of Academic Records. All approvals for overload requests at registration are contingent upon the conditions listed above.