This is a request to carry more than 19 credits at any time during the semester. The request is made on a drop/add form available online or in Lattimore 312. (Students wanting an overload at the time of registration are permitted to register for up to 23 credit hours. This is temporary approval only, and students are required to drop to 19 credits or less unless they meet the conditions that follow by the beginning of the semester.)
All students requesting overload permission need to obtain approval from the College Center for Advising Services by submitting the online drop/add form. Please note the special policies that apply for students who wish to overload in the fall 2020 semester.
Approval of the dean for an overload is subject to the following conditions and may be granted contingent upon meeting these conditions:
- That a requested overload in the senior year will permit a student to complete all graduation requirements by Commencement. Seniors are not required to petition to carry an overload, however, seniors who wish to register for more than 24 credits should speak with an advisor in CCAS to discuss their plans for graduation.
- That the required 3.0 average for the previous semester has been attained for overloads up to 23 credits. Special consideration will be given in unusual circumstances.
- That for overloads of 24 credits (or more), a minimum 3.4 grade point average the previous semester is required. Students wishing to register for 24 credits are not required to submit a petition. Students wishing to register for 25 or more credits must submit a Petition to the Administrative Committee which should include the list of proposed courses along with a reason for enrolling in each course.
- That no first-semester first year student may take more than three credit hours over their four full-credit courses. (A mandatory lab is considered part of the course.) NOTE: A student in their first semester could, for example, register for CHM 131 (5 credits), JPN 101 (6 credits), WRT 105 (4 credits) and PSY 101 (4 credits) and remain eligible to carry three additional credit hours for a total of 22 credit hours.
- That no Incomplete grades from previous semesters exist.
- That the student be considered likely to do well in the program.
- That upon consideration of the relationship of the overload to the total academic program, such an academic load is necessary.
- That overload credit cannot be used to accelerate graduation except as permitted by College Policy (See Acceleration and Enrollment Policy)
- Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their plans to overload with an advisor (either undergraduate advisor, major advisor, or CCAS advisor).
Office Procedure for Overloads and Underloads
A copy of the Drop/Add form is retained and filed in the College Office of Academic Records. All approvals for overload requests at registration are contingent upon the conditions listed above.