To report an emergency:
- Pick up a Blue Light Emergency Phone
- Dial 13 from any other University phone
- From a cell phone or other non-University phone, dial 275-3333.
- Dial #413 from AT&T/Cingular or Verizon cell phones
For a recorded message on cancellations and special events at the University, please call (585) 275-6111.
The University's emergency notification system allows for the mass dissemination of critical information via voice, text, and e-mail to undergraduate students during a major emergency. If you are an undergraduate in the College of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering or the Eastman School of Music, you can input or edit your contact information in the AlertUR system. (NOTE: Text messages will be delivered more quickly than voice messages.)
Phase I is operating for all undergraduates in the College of Arts, Sciences, and Engineering, the Eastman School of Music, and the School of Nursing. On July 1, 2010, Phase II was initiated for all graduate students, faculty, and staff. Plans are being developed to enroll University of Rochester Medical Center faculty and staff in the program later this year. In the interim, emergency systems within the Medical Center will continue to serve that function.
What can you do?
- Continue to stay informed by reading and listening to news media reports and going to government Web sites such as those listed on this page.
- Know what your role is during an emergency. Reference your department's emergency response plan or your housing safety plan.
- If you are on campus, seek assistance from University staff.
- Be familiar with your area or department evacuation plan.
- UR Prepared: Personal Emergency Preparedness Guidelines
- Violent incidents
- Fire emergencies
- Robbery and assault
- Medical emergencies
- Tornado watch
- Tornado warning
- Bomb threats
- Suspicious mail
- Gas leaks/Suspicious odors
- Natural disasters (FEMA)
- Utility failures
- "Shelter in place" instructions
- Elevator failure
- Personal injury/exposure
- University response to national terror alert levels
- Department of Public Safety
- University Health Service
- Environmental Health and Safety
- University Facilities and Services
- Sexual Assault and Harassment
- National and local news sources
- Terrorism fact sheets (Centers for Disease Control)
- Ready.gov: From the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- American Red Cross
- Pandemic Flu Preparedness (Centers for Disease Control)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- National Weather Service
- Monroe County Office of Emergency Preparedness
- New York State Office of Homeland Security
- New York State Emergency Management Office
- New York State Health Department Bioterrorism Resources