Skip to content
University of Rochester Counseling Center

Counseling Center

We want to acknowledge the hard work and obligations of this busy time in the semester, where events close to home and in the United States can intensify our existing stress and bring more pain, grief and rage to our community.  The school and neighborhood violence against children and adults, oppressive policies targeting trans and gender expansive children and adults is not a reflection of this campus, of the health and mental health values of the University Counseling Center and the University Health Service.  We are still here for you.

We strongly encourage students, faculty and staff to find affirming sources of care and support in this time of so many feelings and different reactions from the media and the world around us.  The UCC remains committed to supporting all of our U of R students. We have consultation times open now, and welcome you at (585) 275-3113.

Crisis hotline
If you are in crisis and would like to speak to someone immediately, please call us at (585) 275-3113. A Counseling Center professional is on-call 24/7.

If you are outside of the US, the Suicide Stop website contains mental health emergency resources worldwide.

Schedule an appointment

UCC’s hours of operation are Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. and
Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.  To reach the UCC Professional On-Call after hours for emergencies call 585-275-3113.

To schedule your first appointment, call us at (585) 275-3113 or log into UHSConnect.

The Counseling Center is available for full-time students who pay the mandatory health fee using HIPAA compliant Zoom. Just call (585) 275-3113 for an initial assessment. Based on that initial assessment, a treatment plan will be developed by the clinician that addresses your unique needs and concerns.

More information

Additional resources while waiting for therapy

Crisis Services

If you are a University of Rochester student or are concerned about a student experiencing a mental health crisis, please call the University Counseling Center Professional On-Call at (585) 275-3113.

If you have someone you are concerned about, remember that the Counseling Center is available for consults 24/7. Just call us (585) 275-3113. For non-urgent situations where you are concerned, make use of the CARE Network to help someone get connected to all the support and University of Rochester services they need!

You can also download the My SSP app on any phone to access phone and text crisis support from anywhere in the world.

If you are outside of the US, the Suicide Stop website contains mental health emergency resources worldwide.

Link to full crisis services:



The Counseling Center has partnered with ThrivingCampus to make it easier for students to learn more about community mental health providers and access treatment off-campus and in many other states. ThrivingCampus is an online directory that allows University of Rochester students to access a list of off-campus, licensed mental health clinicians. Go to or make an appointment for an Initial Assessment with one of our therapists for assistance. The website also includes resources to assist students through the process of securing off-campus outpatient care.

If you are a provider and wish to participate in the University of Rochester Thriving Campus site, please use this link: Thriving Campus – for providers to create a new free account or to update your existing account.

Release of information

If you are asked to fill out a Release of Information, please download and fill out one of the below files.

When complete, you can either:

  • Fax or mail to the number/address on the top of the form
  • Scan the document and email it to the University Counseling Center (; this is a secure email box.
  • Follow the instructions and upload your release forms to UHSConnect

Accommodation requests

University Health Service does not provide disability accommodation evaluations and recommendations.

The Office of Disability Resources maintains this list of off-campus providers who do provide disability accommodation evaluations. Please go to the Office of Disability Resources for more information on academichousing, and dining accommodations.

Return to the top of the page