University Health Service
Services for Employees
Personal Health Care
The University Health Service offers a full range of primary care services for employees, residents, fellows, and other members of the University community who have chosen a UHS physician as their primary care physician (PCP).
Currently, UHS is not accepting employees and other members of the University community as new patients for personal health care, with the exception of residents and fellows who may choose a UHS physician as their primary care provider. For assistance finding a primary care provider (PCP) outside UHS, check http://ahpnetwork.com/member-benefits/ur-employees/.
Residents and fellows who would like to come to UHS for their personal health care are asked to call 585-275-2638 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register to become a UHS patient. Once you are registered as a UHS patient, you can call 585-275-2662 to schedule an appointment at any UHS office. For urgent concerns when UHS offices are closed, call 585-275-2662 to reach the UHS physician on call.
The benefits of having a primary care physician at UHS include:
- Full range of primary care services for preventive, acute, and chronic care management
- Access to care 24 hours a day (physician on call when UHS offices are closed)
- Same-day appointments for urgent concerns
- Evening appointments at our office on the River Campus during the school year
- Availability of a registered nurse to answer health concerns by phone
- Offices conveniently located on the University of Rochester River Campus and in the University of Rochester Medical Center. (Free parking next to the UHS Building on the River Campus.)
Occupational Health Services Offered by UHS
Offered at the UHS Medical Center Location (Room 1-5077)
The University Health Service (UHS) works to improve the health and safety of the University community through a variety of occupational health services provided to employees and departments that are non-hospital based. For questions about UHS occupational health services, call 585-275-4955.
Services provided by UHS include:
- Pre-placement health assessments and annual health updates for selected staff and health profession student groups
- Assistance for blood/body fluid exposures for health profession students.
- OSHA mandated hearing conservation program
- Research or program specific health monitoring (e.g., biosafety labs, Vivarium)
- Care for work-related injuries (e.g., sprains, falls)
- Blood pressure monitoring for University staff and first aid care provided by a registered nurse
- Respirator Fit Testing – UHS conducts respirator fit testing for employees who work in non-hospital based areas of the University. Prior to being fit tested, employees must review the UR General Respirator Training that is available through MyPath. Appointments at UHS are scheduled by calling 585-275-4955.
UHS occupational health services are offered at the UHS office in the UR Medical Center (Room 1-5077). If you are driving to the Medical Center, you should park in the ramp garage next to the Strong Memorial Hospital end of the UR Medical Center. Use the Hospital Drive entrance to the parking garage. Hospital Drive is off Elmwood Avenue. Once in the garage, take the elevator to the first floor. Make a right as you enter the Hospital lobby. Walk past the Information Desk and follow the orange ceiling tags to Room 1-5077.
Occupational Health Services Offered by SMH EH
Strong Employee Health (SMH EH) provides occupational health services for hospital-based employees and employees who have a blood borne pathogen exposure (e.g., needle stick, eye splash). For employee blood exposures, call the Strong Employee Health Blood Exposure Hotline at 585-275-1164.
PLEASE NOTE: The University Health Service provides services for University of Rochester health profession students who have blood exposures. See Blood/Body Fluid Exposures for instructions for contacting UHS for assistance.